Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm making this topic because the one above did not work for me. The patches provided did not work properly, and I was unable to play WoW without having horribly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

World of Warcraft in Wine

I'm making this topic because the one above did not work for me. The patches provided did not work properly, and I was unable to play WoW without having horribly skewed buildings and horribly jittery sound. I'm not saying it's a bad walkthrough, I'm just saying that for me, it did not work. So here is a copy of a walkthrough I wrote just the other day. I managed to get Wine to run World of Warcraft with no issues at all, my minimap works fine under all conditions, no sound jitters, nothing. So here it is, my "How I Did It" article.
    Screenie

This walkthrough is assuming you have all of the dependencies installed(gcc etc.), because most linux distributions do by default. If you run into a dependency error, you can see the full version of this walkthrough that I used myself on the Wine WoW database to find out what you are missing.

Relevent system information:
    Kernel: 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 i686
    Video Card: 256 MB NVidia GeForce FX 5500
    Wine Version: 0.9.21
    Processor: 2.2 Ghz Intel Celeron
    RAM: 1 GB DDR1 SDRAM

Preparing for Wine
    Ok, first off, open your package manager, remove all of the wine packages you have installed, and then go into your /home directory and remove the ".wine" folder. It's hidden, so if you don't see it right away you may want to either type it directly or tell your file browser to show hidden files. The reason you do not install wine via your package manager is because there are patches that need to be applied before wine is compiled. Next, you need to download the source code for wine. This walkthrough will assume you are using the same version as me, 0.9.21(the latest when this was written), and may not work if you use a different version.

Click here to download wine version 0.9.21

Download the .tar.bz2 file to a directory, preferably your home directory or a subdirectory of it. Then open your command line and run these commands:
    Code:
    cd directoryofarchivehere
    This puts your command line in the folder with the archive.
    Code:
    tar xvfj nameofarchivehere
    This extracts the contents of the archive, and should create a new folder called "wine-0.9.21 or something. This is the wine source code. With that same command line still open just cd into that folder with:
    Code:
    cd foldernamehere
    Patching the Wine SourceCode
    Now, if you are running an NVidia video card, you need to download this file into your new wine folder. If you are running an ATi card, you need to download this file into that wine folder. Now, depending on which type of video card you have, you need to run one of the following commands(also in the same terminal window that is still cd'd into the wine source code folder).
    NVidia Cards
    Code:
    patch -p1 < wine-wow-0.9.21.diff
    ATi Cards
    Code:
    patch -p0 < x11drv_fbconfig_fix-0001.bin
    Compiling Wine
    Still in the same command line window that is cd'd into the wine sourcecode folder, run this command:
    Code:
    ./configure
    Do not bother it, even if it appears it has stalled, when it is finished it will return you to a command prompt. At this point, it would be wise to look over the last couple lines of output and see if you have any dependency errors. If there is an error regarding "FontForge" ignore it, I will tell you how to solve this issue in a minute. If you have a dependency error, you should be able to use your package manager to install the necessary software to continue. When you have done so, just re-run the "./configure" command.
    When the configure process is complete and you are returned to a command prompt, you need to run:
    Code:
    make depend
    When this is complete you will also be given a new command prompt, at which point you need to run:
    Code:
    make
    This is the longest part, so you may want to get a bite to eat or something. When it is finished, you will be returned to a command prompt. At this point you need to become root by typing:
    Code:
    su
    You will be prompted for the root password you set up when you installed Linux. After you become root you need to run:
    Code:
    make install
    Configuring and Setting up Wine
    Normally at this point you would run winecfg, but when I did I couldn't read anything because I did not have any fonts (hence the previous FontForge error) installed. To solve this issue if you have a Windows hard drive or computer sitting around, you need to get on it and go to C:\Windows\Fonts and copy all of the files in there to the .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts folder in your home directory. Remember it's hidden. After you do this run:
    Code:
    winecfg
    This is the wine configuration utility, and I will show you how I have it set up. On the "Applications" tab, change the Windows version to "Windows XP". Now in the "Graphics" tab make sure these boxes are checked:
    Enable Desktop Double Buffering
    Allow the Window Manager to control windows(This is important because if a fullscreen application freezes, you can alt+tab out of it.)
    Set the "Vertext Shader Support" to "Hardware" and check the box that says "Allow Pixel Shader if supported by hardware". In audio the reported best sound output system to use is "OSS". I have hardware acceleration set to "Full", Default Sample Rate set to "22050", and Default bits per sample set to "16". It would also be wise to double check the "Drives" tab and make sure everything is mapped to the proper location, it should be by default but just in case.

Getting Some Windows .dll Files
    You need to download these two .dll files to your .wine/drive_c/windows folder. If you can't do that directly because of it being hidden, you can download them to a separate location and then move them. Keep in mind these files come in an archive format and will need to be unzipped.
    msvcp60.dll
    mfc42.dll
    Now open a command line and cd into the .wine/drive_c/windows folder and run these commands.
    Code:
    unzip mfc42.zip
    Code:
    unzip msvcp60.zip
    If it asks you about overwriting a ReadMe file, you can or can't, it doesn't matter, what matters is the .dll file contained in the archive with those readme files.

Installing Mozilla ActiveX Control
    You can download the ActiveX control here. We want the .exe version so go ahead and download it and run it. If you get a warning about it being a windows executable file and security risks, you can manually run the file in your command line with:
    Code:
    wine pathtothefilehere
    . If it asks you where your Mozilla header files are I would just cancel, it will install anyway and download the html rendering engine when needed.

Installing World of Warcraft
    If you have the CDs for WoW you can use them to install, if you don't, you can download a zipped version of the WoW installer here.
    The installation process should run normally, however I used the download and not the CDs and have heard of issues with the computer not recognizing one CD or another, but as far as I know it "should" work just fine.

Configuring World of Warcraft
    Before ever opening World of Warcraft there are some changes to be made before it will be playable. Go into the folder where World of Warcraft installed (probably .wine/drive_c/program files/world of warcraft) and open the folder named "WTF" and then open the file "Config.wtf" with a text editor, and add these lines to the bottom of the file:
    Code:
    SET gxApi "opengl"
    SET SoundOutputSystem "1"
    SET SoundBufferSize "150"
    SET gxColorBits "24"
    SET gxDepthBits "24"
    Save it and close it.

That's not all. If the shortcut supposedly installed to your desktop is there, you need to edit it. Depending on your desktop environment that may be done different ways, but find the box that lists the command it runs to actually execute wow. Probably looks like "wine '/home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/program files/world of warcraft/launcher.exe'" or something. Anyway, go to the main end of this command and enter a space and -opengl. For example to properly edit the command I listed above it would then be:
    Code:
    wine '/home/marcus/.wine/drive_c/program files/world of warcraft/launcher.exe' -opengl
    If the shortcut did not show up properly, you can make your own custom launcher, just make sure that you add the option -opengl to the end of the command.

That's all there is to it. After following these steps I can play World of Warcraft flawlessly on my Linux box. If you follow these steps and it works, please let me know so I can make this walkthrough more available, but as this is how "I" did it on "my" hardware, I'm not sure how it will work for other people, and therefore I don't want go screaming "I can make it work!" and then not be able to make it work, lol. If you follow these steps and it doesn't work, post a reply and let me know or send me an e-mail at marcusdean.adams@gmail.com . Also don't be afraid to use google, it's how I found all the resources I've given here and all the information I used to get it working for me. Happy questing World of Warcraft players!

Your tutorial seems more detailed, but still it reminds me of this one :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/win...raft-wine.html

Great job !
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee