Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When I type in commands I get an error in wine. Serveral times I have fot the Windows System32 error, when I typed in different commands. Can some one tell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I run Wine? Get this error.

When I type in commands I get an error in wine. Serveral times I have fot the Windows System32 error, when I typed in different commands.

Can some one tell me the problem here.

root@craftycathy:/home/craftycathy# wine command line
    wine: creating configuration directory '/root/.wine'...
    Failed to open the service control manager.
    fixme:ole:ITypeInfo_fnRelease destroy child objects
    wine: '/root/.wine' created successfully.
    wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\command.exe": Module not found

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyCathy
    Actually, the problem you're getting there has nothing to with WINE so much as the command you're sending it. There is no such program as "command", and WINE is telling you that. What are you really trying to run? WINE is not an emulator (that's actually what the name stands for), it's an interpreter that you use to run MS Windows programs. You can't just "run" WINE and get a DOS prompt.

Code:
    wine Solitaire.exe
    That's the type of command that the WINE interpreter is expecting.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    What I want to go is go over on the Wine website and download an application. So far I have not been able to get anything to work. How do I activate Wine?

What I mean is... I am a Windows user going over to Linux. In Windows we click on an icon and then the application opens up. Is there a way I can do this with Wine? Or does Wine not open up into an application?

Also, if I have a Windows application on a CD, can I use Wine to install it. If its one Wine works with?

But there is the problem also, I don't know how to get Wine to do anything. Is there something I click on to active Wine to work or just how does Wine work?

I have went through all the instructions on Wine in Terminal. All I do is get errros. Or at least nothing comes up that I know to work with.

Thank you for your reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What I want to go is go over on the Wine website and download an application. So far I have not been able to get anything to work. How do I activate Wine?
    You don't have to "activate" WINE. If it was properly installed you should be able to just run it from the command line with the command I detailed above.

What I mean is... I am a Windows user going over to Linux. In Windows we click on an icon and then the application opens up. Is there a way I can do this with Wine? Or does Wine not open up into an application?
    No, WINE is not an application and you can't click an icon to activate it. It works as a translator for Microsoft Windows applications for Linux. It's a very spotty and unreliable piece of software in my experience. What Microsoft software are you trying to run with it?

Also, if I have a Windows application on a CD, can I use Wine to install it. If its one Wine works with?
    Again, you're not giving me enough details. What program? Have you checked the how-tos and compatibility lists on this site?

http://www.winehq.org

But there is the problem also, I don't know how to get Wine to do anything. Is there something I click on to active Wine to work or just how does Wine work?
    Read the site above and my last post. You start WINE by passing it the name of a program you want to run. All this is explained in the howtos on the WineHQ site.

I have went through all the instructions on Wine in Terminal. All I do is get errros. Or at least nothing comes up that I know to work with.
    Without seeing the exact errors I can't tell you what to do next.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Make sure you run wine as a user and not as root.

Plus, run
    Code:
    winecfg
    first to configure wine.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

I don't know how to get Wine to do anything. Is there something I click on to active Wine to work or just how does Wine work?
    You can do it that way, if you run winecfg (under Linux, as a normal user, not root), and click the graphics tab and check the Emulate a virtual desktop box. But you may still have to actually run an application to see the desktop.

Do you have an application you want to install? Look on the CD for the installation file, which is probably named setup.exe. Run the command (as a normal user, not root) (modify the path to get to our actual CDROM drive and executable)
    Code:
    wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe
    This will cause the installation wizard to popup just like on Windows, or in your virtual desktop if you have it set that way.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I guess I need to explain more. I am trying to install Family Tree Maker. Yes, it was on a list I seen... some where concerning Wine, but I can't find that page now. Or I sure think it was for Wine... Will have to look some more to hunt it down. When I seen it there, I thought, I have this on CD.. so why take that long of time to download it. Just install it from the CD... If this is possible...

Now... For example when I go to the user Terminal... $... copy and paste in the 1st example.. this is what the terminal gives in reply.

craftycathy@craftycathy:~$ wine Solitaire.exe
    wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\Solitaire.exe": Module not found
    craftycathy@craftycathy:~$

This Win system32 is what I always get when I type in something simular.

Having FTM in the Cdrom, I also have tried to get it to work that way... This is what I get..

craftycathy@craftycathy:~$ wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe
    wine: cannot find '/media/cdrom/setup.exe'

Yes.. setup is right there on the CD, I can go over to the CD and see it... The CD even starts running, sounds like a fan running when it runs. So I can hear it making that sound when I put in the above line.

Now... When I type in "winecfg"... Then the box came up, I clicked on the Graphics tab. In the Windows Setting part, there is 2 things already marked.

1. Enable Desktop Double Buffering
    2. Allow the Window Manager to control the Window.

Do I leave both of those checked when I check the next one: Emulate a Vitual Desktop?

Oh yes, when I typed in winecfg, this is what came up just prior to the box where the graphic tab was at.. Can some one explain this?

craftycathy@craftycathy:~$ winecfg
    ALSA lib seq_hw.c:456snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory

Just Joined!
    Here is another thing I have done.. Thinking maybe Wine just works in the background and you just don't see it..

I clicked on the CD icon where FTM is located. The files came up on screen, then I clicked on setup. Now this time something actually happened.. I guess its the box that actually comes up when you do this in Windows. It was giving me a tour, then you could click on skip this and go to another screen, that has install and a bunch of there stuff. So I clicked install.. Then it brought up the install wizard box... Ran that through real quick then another box, saying I had to install IE6, did I want to, yes or no... I click on the yes, cause FTM has to have IE 6 on these later versions to work. Another box comes up, saying once IE6 has installed, run FTM setup again.

Then another box opens up, have to click on I agree with their policy.. etc.. Now since I have done this before... I get another box saying... The most recent version of all items are already installed. It is recommended you exit set up without reinstalling. Then a yes - no buttons.

But where is it?? Now I have checked every where on the computer. I even ran a search in all the directories.. Can't find it..

Oh yes, this is FTM version 9. In case anyone needed to know this.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I made a mistake on this... Its not exactly like this...

wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe

actually its ftm.exe.

But I was writing ftm.exe... then just didn't think when I wrote the reply here that it was setup.exe.

Just Joined!
    Can some one tell me, is this the right path to the CD unit...

wine /media/cdrom/ftm.exe

The "media" part?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast