Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 (and I've been using it for about a week) and I'm trying to install wine. I have not installed anything that was not automatically installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Help out a complete and total n00b with wine

Hey, I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 (and I've been using it for about a week) and I'm trying to install wine. I have not installed anything that was not automatically installed with the distro CD. I went to winehq.org and followed their instructions for Debian, here: http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

I followed all instructions above "Getting source packages from repository", and ending with "...mark all upgrades should update Wine to the newest version." But now that I've done that, I have absolutely no idea what to do. Please guide me in the right direction.

All those steps are really unecessary. Simply typing
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    should be enough.

Then
    Code:
    winecfg
    will configure it.

From this working "wine" installation, you can run .exe like that :
    Code:
    wine some_file.exe
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thank you! I eventually just typed in "wine" to the terminal and found that it was working, and I found where my .exe was. Thanks for helping me.