Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I'm completely new to Linux, I just installed it a few days ago and I am trying to ween off of Windows and use Linux at least 90% of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arrow Counter-Strike: Source closing

Ok, I'm completely new to Linux, I just installed it a few days ago and I am trying to ween off of Windows and use Linux at least 90% of the time. Point being, I'm VERY new so don't assume I know anything.
    I'm running Fedora Core 5 by the way.

I installed Wine and Steam and downloaded Counter Strike, I also have it so that it runs in a window. Then, it loads and the opening screen comes up with the image of the counter-terrorists and the text "Loading..." at the bottom, like normal. Then, right before the main menu would load, the game closes itself.

I looked on WineHQ and this appears to be it:
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6205

There is a patch shown in an attachment in a comment shown there, but I have no idea how to install it. Help please?

Or if that's not even my problem, could someone help me out?

Thanks a lot for any help at all

Just Joined!
    I'm not trying to promote software here but i like using cedega by transgaming.com. It isn't free, but it's an easy, hassle free solution.

Quote Originally Posted by armyguy5
    I'm not trying to promote software here but i like using cedega by transgaming.com. It isn't free, but it's an easy, hassle free solution.
    Nah... I don't fell like paying. Sorry, but thanks for the tip.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'd suggest you just dual-boot Windows XP if you really want to run games like Half-Life 2 or anything else in Steam. You can spend hours hacking away at it (this very subject has been posted by many people before, all with varying degrees of success) or just use the software on the OS for which it was designed. It's up to you what you think your time is worth.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

At the moment the Crossover guys are offering a 60 day trial of their product. I'm playing with it and I have to say it is very good. The only bugs I am having are because I am running XGL/beryl so graphics acceleration can be a problem. It's fine when I switch this off. I'm running Half Life 2. I don't usually bother trying to run Windows apps under Linux and I really just did this to see if I could. Take a look at the free trial, if it works for you then you get 60 days at least

I'll look into that, but does anyone know of any fixes to Wine, so that AFTER the trial is up I can stay in Linux to play CS:S? Or can someone tell me how to install that patch I mentioned above???

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Just Joined!

16 bit

Try changing X to run in 16 bits. I did and all HL2 based games are working through steam.