Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, been trying to get steam working in ubuntu with wine for about the millionth time (i want to get rid of my dependency on windows for gaming!) i thought ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

steam not loading

hello, been trying to get steam working in ubuntu with wine for about the millionth time (i want to get rid of my dependency on windows for gaming!) i thought i'd finally got it set up right, but now when i try to load steam, i get the updating window, fir about a second, then it vanishes, my cpu goes up 2 100%, and nothing happens. I've had it hanging on 27%, i got round that, and i've had the mozilla active-x problem, and i fixed that, though it only just started doing this after i installed the mozilla active-x control, plz help! the only output i get is this:

Code:

ricardo@ricardo-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/Programme/Valve$ WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine Steam err:dbghelpe_load_dbg_file -Unable to peruse .DBG file ole32.dbg ("") err:dbghelpe_load_dbg_file -Unable to peruse .DBG file oleaut32.dbg ("") err:dbghelpe_load_dbg_file -Unable to peruse .DBG file rpcrt4.dbg ("") wine: Call from 0x7fc2e770 to unimplemented function dbghelp.dll.SymGetSymFromAddr64, aborting Shutting down. . . 300client callback thread error

and an error message in wine: ERROR: Steam.exe (main exception):win32 StructuredException at 7CFDB127: Attempt to read from virtual adress 0 without appropriate access rights

please help, i'm getting seriously fed up!

I've only had partial success with Steam in Wine. Try Frank's Corner for some tips. Also it may be of interest to you that Crossover Office is running a beta test at the moment - you can get a 60 day trial of Crossover. I have run HL2 and CS:S in it without much trouble. It also contains some launcher tools if they interest you.