Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so i really want to make the complete move over to linux but the one think I'm keeping my xp partition for in Visual Studio 2005. Has anyone been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

visual studio 2005

Ok, so i really want to make the complete move over to linux but the one think I'm keeping my xp partition for in Visual Studio 2005. Has anyone been able to get it up and running successfully? I would love to be able to do this but I have yet to see anything on it.

Why is Visual Studio such a hangup? You can get very good IDEs for Linux.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Provided you write ANSI standard code (which you're not forced to do in Visual Studio) you shouldn't have any trouble compiling anything in Linux using a Linux-native IDE such as Anjuta, Eclipse, or KDevelop. What language are you using primarily?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Well I'm currently a CS major and VS 2005 is just the program that is used at my school. I currently only code in C++ but hope to self teach other languages down the road. VS 2005 is just what I am familiar with and I need to make sure my code compiles and runs with it before turning it in to my professors.

C++ is very well supported in Linux. Does your professor require that code be specifically compiled in Visual Studio?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I'm also taking a C++ class which uses Visual Studio in the classroom, but at home I do all my coding for that class in Kate right now. The teacher only asks for the .cpp (source code) file, plus a printout of the code and sample output from running the program. Like TechieMoe said, ANSI-compliant code (which the school is presumably teaching) will compile and run on any system, so you don't have to use any specific IDE.

If you're only coding one source file per project, and you're pretty good at finding and fixing errors that the compiler throws, you may find it easier to use a good stand-alone code editor like SciTE or Kate, and run the code from the command line. Or if you want a full IDE with good debugging, look at Eclipse or one of the others TechieMoe mentioned. There are also very nice commercial IDEs for Linux, such as Code Warrior.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!