Find the answer to your Linux question:
sooo...how can i install certain drivers on my computer? does wine utilize .exe files that are on a cd, for example? or do i have to find the files i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question how does Wine work?

sooo...how can i install certain drivers on my computer? does wine utilize .exe files that are on a cd, for example? or do i have to find the files i want installed on my computer as a different format?

for example, i can't use wine to install warcraft 3 from my actual copy of warcraft 3, or can i?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumah
    sooo...how can i install certain drivers on my computer?
    WINE does not work with device drivers. With the exception of wireless network cards, you will not be able to use any Microsoft Windows device drivers in Linux. There are native Linux drivers for most devices (including official 3D drivers from Nvidia and ATI for graphics cards).

does wine utilize .exe files that are on a cd, for example? or do i have to find the files i want installed on my computer as a different format?

for example, i can't use wine to install warcraft 3 from my actual copy of warcraft 3, or can i?
    In theory, yes. However WINE is spotty with some software. If you're interested in installing MS Windows games in Linux, your best bet at success is a non-free ($15USD) program based on WINE called Cedega.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants