Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I am complete newbie to wine and was wondering how to get started. I have installed Wine using automatix2 so I have it on my system and supposedly setup. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    RPB
    Just Joined!

How do I use Wine?

Hi I am complete newbie to wine and was wondering how to get started. I have installed Wine using automatix2 so I have it on my system and supposedly setup. But I am not sure how to go about getting games working on it. Are there any good tutorials out there(I tried Wine's web site but it was very difficult to understand) I want to install Blake stone, which is basically wolfenstien, a Dos program. any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    I use Linux 9.1 and with wine I just right click and say run with wine

RPB
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    I use Linux 9.1 and with wine I just right click and say run with wine
    You right click on the item you want to install on wine? or do you right click on wine itself? so using ubuntu the game gets installed using package manager. Do I have to install it from there?

Just Joined!
    the 'right-click + open with' method works or you could open a terminal, cd to yourprogram.exe and run 'wine yourprogram.exe'. There's also winecfg and wine file gui's.
    Here's a link to a how-to, you might find ubuntu-specific stuff if you navigate back to the homepage and start from there.
    http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wineusr-guide/running
    Of course the coolest thing about wine is being able to open a terminal and type 'notepad' LOL.
    And there's a list of what works in wine somewhere, either the same site or one that google knows about.
    and right click means click on the thing you want to install/run with wine.

RPB
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by iHateRegistering
    the 'right-click + open with' method works or you could open a terminal, cd to yourprogram.exe and run 'wine yourprogram.exe'. There's also winecfg and wine file gui's.
    Here's a link to a how-to, you might find ubuntu-specific stuff if you navigate back to the homepage and start from there.
    http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wineusr-guide/running
    Of course the coolest thing about wine is being able to open a terminal and type 'notepad' LOL.
    And there's a list of what works in wine somewhere, either the same site or one that google knows about.
    and right click means click on the thing you want to install/run with wine.

So do I do right-click + open with wine?

Here is a site you may find interesting. www.frankscorner.org It helped me out. Also, as for how to use wine, go to www.winehq.com They have some great tutorials and resources there that should get you going.

Linux Enthusiast
    You could try that

RPB
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB
    So do I do right-click + open with wine?

Hmm, its not working. I may just try and run it with DOSbox(if I can get that to work) Oh well.

Linux Enthusiast
    Shouldn't the unbuntu help files tell you how to use wine or check the offical wine website

Just Joined!

run winecfg

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu (about 8months) and very new to wine (about three days) but I just did it, so I might be able to help.

After installing wine from Synaptic open a terminal and type in

winecfg

follow the steps there (I can't remember exactly what there were, but they involved setting up your fake C drive)
    Remember that any files you save on your new "c" drive will be in your home folder in a hidden directory called .wine

I'll leave it there for now. Post back if you need more help (or try the Ubuntu forums, they are always good for me) This is my first day on linux forums, so I don't know yet, but I hope it's just as good.

Hiroshima

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast