Find the answer to your Linux question:
Wine uses no microsoft code to run some microsoft apps. Can you use microsoft code to get better compatability? For example: I have a legal copy of windows. Is there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

wine question

Wine uses no microsoft code to run some microsoft apps. Can you use microsoft code to get better compatability? For example: I have a legal copy of windows. Is there a way to load the microsoft code into wine so that more games would play?? Or is there another program like a virtual machine that would use DX9 while still in linux, without having to actually go into windows??

thanks for any responses.

p.s. love the "Rants" techiemoe
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

You can run winecfg and set your programs to prefer native DLLs over the wine libraries (assuming you have a local copy of the native Windows DLLs). See this page from the wine guide for details.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux Newbie

winex??

I am not a programmer but it just seems to me, that with all the technicallity of wine, wouldn't it be simple to just direct the game back to the real windows files?? I mean, if I have a dual boot ( windows/ SuSE ) I can see all my windows folders and programs.. why can't I just click the .exe for the game and the game use all the windows stuff to run, while I'm booted in SuSE?? Instead of installing the game in wine and having to fool the game into thinking its in windows?? That way the only time I would have to boot windows would be to install a new game.... I wish I knew about programming, then all this might make more sense...

Thanks for the link and thanks for your help
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close