Find the answer to your Linux question:
Many other people have had similar problems, but I think mine is unique. I have yet to get a program to run with Wine at all. Even the executables that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine Hangs on Anything (first run)

Many other people have had similar problems, but I think mine is unique. I have yet to get a program to run with Wine at all. Even the executables that come with Wine don't work. Wine hangs on winemine, winecfg, notepad.exe, and everything else I've run it on. If I run Unreal Tournament (the original), it displays the splash screen, then hangs there.

I'm running Fedora Core 6. I've installed 0.9.27 of Wine from the RPM. When that didn't work, I compiled it from the source. There seems to be no difference between running it either way.

I've looked on Google for more information, but I can't seem to find anything. Here's a sample run:

$ winecfg
    err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x6d77b180 "x11drv_main.c:
    X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out in thread 000c, blocked by 000b, retrying (60
    sec)
    wine: Critical section 6d77b180 wait failed at address 0x70a31270 (thread 000c),
    starting debugger...
    Unhandled exception: wait failed on critical section 0x6d77b180 X11DRV_CritSection
    err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000194 flags 0 addr 0x70a31270
    Process of pid=000a has terminated
    No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Modules:'
    Cannot get info on module while no process is loaded
    No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Threads:'
    process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
    00000009 0

Here are some specs on my computer, just in case it's helpful. All the drivers for these devices are properly installed, and the hardware works properly with all other programs:
    AMD Sempron 2800+ w/ 1GB PC2100
    nVidia FX5700 (GLX is working properly; I can run Nexuiz)
    Sound Blaster Live!

njt
    Just Joined!
    I have the same problem as you. My system is the latest FC6 just updated today. The Wine version is 0.9.29, and I'm running it in gnome-2.16.0.

I've found a new phenomenon. When Wine is run with the login user, it hangs on any program, but after I su to any another user and run it with that user, it works properly.

Just Joined!
    Another strange thing (basically, my problem's solved, but another FC 6 user is having problems):

I've been moving people over to Linux lately (as per their request); in order to provide better "tech support" for one of them, I installed Ubuntu, destroying my FC 6 installation. When I switched back to FC 6, I no longer had this problem with the 0.9.27 or current version. However, since then, that third person decided to migrate to FC 6, and now they're having problems.

The error message she's getting states that it "failed to open the service control manager". I have no idea what that means. She's tried the current version as an RPM and after compiling from source.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Having the same problem

I am having the same problems with wine-0.9.30 and kde 3.5.5-0.2.fc6. I tried installing an older version of wine but that didn't help. I also tried a different driver for my graphics card since that appears to have worked for some people. It didn't work either. Reinstalling is not an option for me (I'd rather not use wine). So if anyone knows a fix ...

Just Joined!
    The horrible part is that I got it working on FC 6, but I don't know how. One day I went to use Wine (0.9.30) and it worked fine. This seems to be a Fedora-specific problem; only some Fedora users have it and not all of them.

Since my last post, I've moved from Fedora over to Ubuntu. I used Fedora for the last 3 years. There area many advantages to Ubuntu (particularly speed and the fact that Wine seems to work for everyone out-of-the-box). The only thing I miss is the up-to-date repos Fedora provided.

The person I'm providing tech support for (as a new Linux user) doesn't have problems with Wine in Gnome (Ubuntu's default), but for some reason, Wine in KDE dies a horrible death. That's just an observation; I'm not trying to flame KDE. I encouraged her to install KDE; she loves it and now uses it instead of Gnome, but it does cause problems when attempting to run Wine, irrespective of the file launched. It has to be a configuration problem with KDE, as I'm sure Wine has passed testing on many setups of the KDE desktop environment.

If Wine hangs with an RPM or DEB install, it tends to hang if you remove it and install it from the compiled source, too. However, I find that compiling and installing Wine gives me much better results than using DEBs -- fewer crashes.

If you're going to install Wine from source, you'll likely need several packages. Here's a link to the ones used by Ubuntu. The package names are probably similar for Fedora, and many of them may already be installed, depending on the selection you made when you installed Fedora (the development packages provide a lot of libraries needed to compile things).

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=297280

Just Joined!
    Exact same issue here until I installed the latest version wine-0.9.32 where the error messages dissapear (yet, the program still just hangs).
    The only thing that seemed to run properly was wineprefixcreate and that's how far I can get.
    I am running Fedora core 6 and using Beryl, SE-linux disabled and it doesn't change a thing running it as root.
    If anyone got any idea about what is going on, because such situations are very frustrating.

Just Joined!
    I've had the same problem too on 2 different FC6 machines in KDE. The problem might be due to Xorg. Since if I create a nested X server

Xnest :1 -ac &
    xterm -display :1

Now inside the xterm inside the nested X server I type

winecfg

winecfg comes up (of course there is no window manager so no titlebar). I've tried disabling AIGLX by putting the following lines in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AIGLX" "off"
    EndSection

That made no difference. I tried to run winecfg under gnome but still the same issue.....an empty window just pops up....and doing a top, I see a lot of explorer.exe in the list.

Just Joined!
    This thread might be of some help

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...hlight=winecfg

I tried the temporarily solution of killing anything related to scim by doing:

ps aux | grep scim

Do a:

killall -9 scim-launcher

Then winecfg opens up with no problems. And everything in wine now works