Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have it installed it and all that stuff but how do i use it? also ill go through all my apps and it doesnt say anything about wine....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

confused about wine.

i have it installed it and all that stuff but how do i use it? also ill go through all my apps and it doesnt say anything about wine.

I'd suggest taking a look at the documentation and tutorials here:

http://www.winehq.org

Keep in mind that WINE isn't a graphical application you can just launch by double-clicking an icon. It's a command-line program that works as a translator for MS Windows software. To launch Solitaire.exe for instance, you would type this:

Code:
    wine Solitaire.exe
    Also, WINE is not a replacement for MS Windows. If you can get software to run in the first place, it's likely not going to behave exactly as it would in a Windows environment, and you could run into serious bugs while it is running. Most major applications (anything more complicated than Solitaire or StarCraft) aren't going to run well, or run at all, using WINE. If you have system-critical programs you want to use, I recommend setting up a dual-boot system and booting into MS Windows proper to run your Windows software.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

techiemoe, dont underestimate wine. in the past year they have been able to make a lot of heavy duty games run quite well. i have gotten mafia and wow to run in d3d mode at an acceptible level. there is some slow down because the d3d work is not all finished. but they really do have something to be proud of.

the only problem is you may or may not have to do some dll installs. it would be a good idea to go to thw website to learn about how to use it.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    techiemoe, dont underestimate wine. in the past year they have been able to make a lot of heavy duty games run quite well. i have gotten mafia and wow to run in d3d mode at an acceptible level. there is some slow down because the d3d work is not all finished. but they really do have something to be proud of.

the only problem is you may or may not have to do some dll installs. it would be a good idea to go to thw website to learn about how to use it.
    I'm glad you're having success with it, and I wish I could say I've had the same. Admittedly, I don't have much use for WINE anymore so the last time I tried it was a while back. I simply want new users to have a realistic set of expectations when trying to run software on a system for which it was never designed to run.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants