Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a simple program I use to communicate with a satellite reciever and transmit updates to it. I have gotten it to run with wine, at which point i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can someone help me understand how Wine sees com ports?

I have a simple program I use to communicate with a satellite reciever and transmit updates to it. I have gotten it to run with wine, at which point i need to select the correct com port. I am using a USB to serial adapter on my laptop to connect to the serial port on the back of the satellite reciever. Can someone tell me how I go about finding out what "com" port this converter is using in linux? I am running Ubuntu 6.1 on an HP DV1000.

Thanks,

Wheelman

Just Joined!
    In your .wine directory, you will find a directory called "dosdevices". In there you will find symbolic links to the various ports that Wine can "see". By using the "ll" command, you can see what the symbolic links point to. Com1 most likely points to ttyS0. If you are using a USB to serial converter, you will need to delete the com1 symbolic link and point it to the USB device. You can find out if your USB to serial device is recognised by Linux by looking for it in the output of the "dmesg" command. On my system, my USB to serial device mounts as "ttyUSB0". To get wine to see the USB "com port", I used the folling commands from the dosdevices directory:

rm com1
    ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 com1

I hope that helps.