Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wandering If Wine was as fast as any other method? Are programs just as stable, and fast as the linux versions? I mean, Say I downloaded Firefox Would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is Wine Just as fast as normal Packages?

I was wandering If Wine was as fast as any other method? Are programs just as stable, and fast as the linux versions? I mean, Say I downloaded Firefox Would it be faster to run the linux version, or the wine version?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by livin4messiah
    I was wandering If Wine was as fast as any other method? Are programs just as stable, and fast as the linux versions? I mean, Say I downloaded Firefox Would it be faster to run the linux version, or the wine version?

Ryan
    No. WINE programs are often significantly slower and buggier than their native Linux equivalents, if they exist. Keep in mind that WINE is trying to translate MS Windows software calls into Linux equivalents on the fly, and it's not an exact science due to the fact that much of the MS Windows operating system is secret.

There is absolutely no reason to run something like Firefox in WINE. It will always run better in Linux native.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    No. WINE programs are often significantly slower and buggier than their native Linux equivalents, if they exist. Keep in mind that WINE is trying to translate MS Windows software calls into Linux equivalents on the fly, and it's not an exact science due to the fact that much of the MS Windows operating system is secret.

There is absolutely no reason to run something like Firefox in WINE. It will always run better in Linux native.
    Ok. That is what I thought. But I wasnt sure, Being new to linux, and I just installed wine this morning, I had wondered which was faster, or equally fast.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by livin4messiah
    Ok. That is what I thought. But I wasnt sure, Being new to linux, and I just installed wine this morning, I had wondered which was faster, or equally fast.

Ryan
    Generally speaking, a program running on the native OS for which it was written will always perform faster/more stable than one that relies on some third-party translation framework. At least in my experience.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants