Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so I'm pretty new to the world of linux and such, but I thought I'd give it a try. I installed Ubuntu 6.06 to a test laptop and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

uninstalling Wine, or just getting it to work!!!

Ok, so I'm pretty new to the world of linux and such, but I thought I'd give it a try. I installed Ubuntu 6.06 to a test laptop and I liked it.

I tried installing Wine to the laptop and it seemed to install just fine. However, whenever I try to install a windows program by typing into terminal wine someprogram.exe, it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong? If not, can somebody tell me how to uninstall it? I installed it through the synaptics package manager, using the method described in the Ubuntu distribution instructions. I added the WineHQ APT Repository through terminal, then used the synaptics package manager to install. All of the uninstallation threads I found were for those who used RPM to install it.

If that sounded really noobish, then sorry. I just figured out how to use terminal and I don't know what half of these things are.

Basically I'm trying to get the shockwave player to install on my linux machine, since wonderful Adobe doesn't have a linux version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by beyondbeliever07
    However, whenever I try to install a windows program by typing into terminal wine someprogram.exe, it doesn't work.
    Doesn't work how?

Try typing the command wine --version (there are two dashes in front of 'version'). If that displays "wine-0.9.30" or similar, wine is installed and accessible. But if returns "command not found", then the problem is that the system cannot find the wine executable.

If wine is installed OK, when you run wine someprogram.exe, does it give error messages? Those would be very helpful. Does it attempt to popup something?

Also, have you ever run anything under Wine before? Each user has to configure his own fake C: drive which Windows apps see as the system's C: drive. Use the wineprefixcreate shell command to do it automatically. See man wineprefixcreate for details.