Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I need to install the Windows Java jdk 1.4 from sun microsystems into my Linux PC and I am trying to do this using Wine the problem is when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Installing Java jdk 1.4 in Wine

Hi, I need to install the Windows Java jdk 1.4 from sun microsystems into my Linux PC and I am trying to do this using Wine the problem is when the installer begins to install the Java jre I get an error message saying that an exception was encountered and that the installation would exit, then Wine stops responding and I have to kill it manually.

Is there a way to install the jdk on Wine?
    Or is there a way to run the programs that need the jdk with the Linux jdk that is already installed on my computer?

Thanks,
    Komyg

Quote Originally Posted by komyg
    Hi, I need to install the Windows Java jdk 1.4 from sun microsystems into my Linux PC and I am trying to do this using Wine the problem is when the installer begins to install the Java jre I get an error message saying that an exception was encountered and that the installation would exit, then Wine stops responding and I have to kill it manually.

Is there a way to install the jdk on Wine?
    Why are you trying to install Java with WINE? There is a native version of Java available from Sun Microsystems. It's available from their main site here:

http://java.sun.com
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yes, I know that.

The thing is that I need to install a java development kit that needs, eclipse, eclipseme, the java jdk and the java j2me wtk. And this development kit is only available for windows.

When I begin to install the development kit using wine it tells me that it didin't found the java jdk on my system and stops the installation, that is why I need to either install the java jdk on wine or tell the program that I already have a jdk installed on my computer.

Thanks,
    Komyg

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Arrow Java Dev Kit

Hi,

I had the same problem as you when I went over to Linux, but in the end I got the linux version of Eclipse and the Java SDK on the SuSe Distro, and I haven't encountered any problems since!!

Java jdk - available to linux natively
    Eclipse - available to linux natively
    j2me - also available to linux
    eclipseme - available to linux

So... why not just do it with the linux stuff?
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

Yes, I know that.

The thing is that I need to install a java development kit that needs, eclipse, eclipseme, the java jdk and the java j2me wtk. And this development kit is only available for windows.
    As Dark_Stang points out, all of the above are indeed available natively in Linux. There is no need to use WINE for any of them.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yes, I know that the j2me, eclipse, the jdk and eclipseme are available to linux, I have installed them and used them successfully.

The point is that I am trying to develop an application for the Siemens TC65 module, and to do this I need to install a development kit (Siemens SMTK Enviroment) that is only available to Windows.

I tryed to install this development kit in Wine, but before beggining with the installation the development kit checks if jdk 1.4 and eclipse are installed on the computer. If there is no jdk or eclipse the development kit aborts the installation.

Until it can detect that those programs are installed there is no way I will be able to make it work.

Now is there a way to tell Wine where my linux jdk is installed so it can tell the installer where it is?

Or is there a way to install the jdk in Wine?

Many thanks,
    Komyg

The point is that I am trying to develop an application for the Siemens TC65 module, and to do this I need to install a development kit (Siemens SMTK Enviroment) that is only available to Windows.
    Aha! See, that's a little detail that could have been more clearly expressed earlier. That changes things entirely.

I tryed to install this development kit in Wine, but before beggining with the installation the development kit checks if jdk 1.4 and eclipse are installed on the computer. If there is no jdk or eclipse the development kit aborts the installation.

Until it can detect that those programs are installed there is no way I will be able to make it work.
    Is dual-booting not an option? WINE is not meant to replace Microsoft Windows, and even for individual applications it's spotty at best. Your easiest and most stable option would be to simply install the kit you're wanting to use in MS Windows.

Now is there a way to tell Wine where my linux jdk is installed so it can tell the installer where it is?

Or is there a way to install the jdk in Wine?

Many thanks,
    Komyg
    Well, since WINE doesn't actually reproduce the entire MS Windows OS, installing the JDK in it wouldn't do you any good. WINE is designed to run one-off applications that have no other dependencies, and your dev kit doesn't seem to work like that.

I don't know if it's possible to tell whine to use your Linux JDK; honestly I've never run into that particular situation. I think at this point your best bet is just to run your kit in MS Windows if that's available.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Well I am sorry that my last posts weren't very clear.

Anyway dual-boot is not exacly an option, because there is a Postgres database running in my machine that cannot be shutdown so I can use windows. I could try to move it to another machine, but that might take some time.

Also I've been asking around how to do make a dual-boot and apparently I need to install Windows first and then Linux. They say that Windows will override grub without prompting and that it might not recognize my linux partitions.

So I am trying to install a virtual machine. Perchaps that will do it.

Thanks,
    Komyg

Also I've been asking around how to do make a dual-boot and apparently I need to install Windows first and then Linux. They say that Windows will override grub without prompting and that it might not recognize my linux partitions.
    Yes, in my experience XP will clobber anything it sees in the Master Boot Record when you install it.

So I am trying to install a virtual machine. Perchaps that will do it.
    As long as you have plenty of RAM you should be fine. You'll be running the Java VM on top of another VM, so RAM and CPU will probably be your bottlenecks. If you can't dual-boot, a VM is probably your best bet. Good luck.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast