Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok this is the deal I really need some help i can't get this damn thing to work i have wine installed then when i go to my run command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine??????

Ok this is the deal I really need some help i can't get this damn thing to work i have wine installed then when i go to my run command in my menu bar i type in winelauncher and i get a screen that comes up (black with lime writing) and this is what it says: You have started Wine without specifying any arguments. (what the hell does that mean what do i do to fix it) It goes one to say: Wine requires at least one argumen - the name of the windows application you would like to run. And then it says stuff about KDE and Gnome.

I have went to winehq and read through the tutorials and it just lost me more im pulling my hair out over this how in the hell do i get this damn thing to run can someone please, please explain this to me from the begining in ENGLISH im new to linux and i don't get half of this crap. I have been trying to get this to work for about a month now im pretty desperate if someone could just help i would greatly appretiate it.
    I read something about a configuring a config file what the hell is that that put me right over the top and dug me in and now im stuck like heck. Please Please help me.

Thanks.

P.S. I heard u had to have windows on ur pc to use wine is that true?

Just Joined!

from one noob to another ;)

hmmm, im definately not an expert, but i do know that you do not need windows on your pc to run wine. (as far as i recall, wine can use some of the windows dll's if they are present, if not, it usues its own built in stuff).

as for starting it..... i installed it a while ago and had a bit of a play with it. i just fumbled my way through the install, and then doubleclicked on a .exe and it started. try running an exe and see what happens.

i can understand your frustrations though, as i recall when i had a play with it, it did seem a little complex, i put it away whilst i learned more about linux

Linux Engineer
    the minimum command line for wine is:
    Code:
    wine <program>.exe
    if you're using the winelauncher script, it's the same, but replace "wine" with "winelauncher"... be sure to replace <program> with the actual name of the program you are trying to run...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    There's a graphical frontend for wine called xwine (not to be confused with winex). Allows you to do all the command line stuff by point & click. Might be worth you getting hold of that.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    the minimum command line for wine is:
    Code:
    wine <program>.exe
    one more thing may help you
    in order to run windows programs under linux like notepad u have to mount your windows partition at first then install wine
    did u mount your windows installed partition ?

Linux User

what i did

ok scotty here's what I've done.
    downloaded the wine rpm from http://www.winehq.com
    open a terminal (in gnome right click desktop and choose new terminal)
    Code:
    su
    rpm -Uvh wine-20040505-1fc1winehq.athlon.rpm
    to test the installation I tried to run the notepad program (built into wine)
    from a terminal
    Code:
    wine notepad.exe
    and after about 5 seconds a text editor (looks like emacs) pops up.
    the HOWTO on the wine site says that I will have to change the mount point of the cdrom file in the wine.conf and more info can be found by running man wine.conf. so i did. But it doesn't actually mention the cdrom drive in the man file i have. never mind

on the documentation site it include this:
    http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine...ve-main#AEN866
    which says we need to change our /etc/fstab file and add the nohide option to the cdrom line.
    so at a terminal

Code:
    gedit /etc/fstab
    make sure the line reads
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro,nohide 0 0
    the fstab is space sensitive so you have
    /dev/cdrom SPACE /mnt/cdrom SPACE udf,iso9660 SPACE noauto,owner,kudzu,ro,nohide SPACE 0 SPACE 0

save and close that file.

ok enough messing about. lets try and install something - macromedia dreamweaver.
    pop cd in and mount it.

at a terminal
    Code:
    su
    cd /mnt/cdrom
    wine Dreamweaver\ MX\ Installer
    work through the install wizard
    this errored like mad so. a quick nosey around the wine site returned my new friend Frank.
    http://frankscorner.org/modules.php?...rtid=26&page=1
    this page contains detailed instructions on setting up DW MX. so following his instructions.

And I still get some errors. Looks like I need to edit my wine.conf.

haven't got time to read all the documentation today. will get back to you when I get chance.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    hey thanks kpzani i tryed going to notepad.exe, but after i type in the command it says killed. whats that mean?

Just Joined!

Thumbs down Me too ...

I get the same error. No matter what I try to run, I get 'Killed' as the terse reply with wine ...

Example:
    $ wine
    Killed
    $ winecfg
    Killed

etc.

Note it comes back with 'Killed' even when there's no program name given after it. Of course the same happens even if I try to run a program ...

I have tried looking at the output of "strace wine" to see if there's a missing file or library that's causing this but to no avail.