Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I use Wine for a few apps (and bedazzling friends ) but I'm not really clear on the major differences between Wine, WineX, and Crossover Office - I do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Confusion!

Ok, I use Wine for a few apps (and bedazzling friends ) but I'm not really clear on the major differences between Wine, WineX, and Crossover Office - I do know the latter two are geared towards games and office packages but what are the pro's and con's of each project? Are the three projects different branches of the same project? WineX is geared towards games so if I use WineX will it still run CorelDraw?

Wine is the public project, developed by the community. WineX are developed by Transgaming, but they refuse to share the sourcecode of their version of Wine. They do release some sourcecode, but that doesn't include all the features that make Winex so different from Wine (cdcopy protection features etc).

Crossover is developed by the Wine guys (I think) and is developed with office applications in mind. I think they say that Photoshop, MS Office etc.. are working very well with Crossover.

Kriss

Crossover Office in basically a hack on wine by the guys over at Codeweavers. It's geared toward getting specific apps to work and make the install as streamlined as possible. They try to eliminate users from using "kludge" method of getting programs to work under wine by doing all the kludges for them...in a pretty way.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well that's cleared things up for me thanks guys I think I'll stick to the original Wine, I don't mind "kludging" (nice description sarumont!) things to get CorelDraw 6 working.... and I'm a persistent tight arse when it comes to paying for anything WineX would be nice but I can't justify paying for what is in effect a slightly more advanced version of Wine.... hopefully Wine will mature faster now more people are using it.