Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im a noob. I'm trying to learn something about wine, so I decided I'd try installing stuff from rescue disks that came with the computer I use. Back then I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using re-install disks

Im a noob. I'm trying to learn something about wine, so I decided I'd try installing stuff from rescue disks that came with the computer I use. Back then I used windows. The installer starts OK, but says I cannot proceed because I'm not re-installing on my original machine, but I am...

Can anyone help me? If it matters, it's a Dell 4550 desktop. I have dialup, so downloading the stuff I'm interested in from Microsoft is probably a no-go.

what do you want to install from 'rescue disk'?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I was going to try wmplayer or mplayer2. I saw something about them in the app DB on winehq.

rescue disk has rcovery tools only and mplayer/wmplayer are not available in rescue disk. download windows based mplayer and run its setup file through wine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Is there a way to get the things to work so I can go throught the menus and try things out? Thanks for the advice, btw!