Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all! I'm trying to get any of the following games to run under Ubuntu 6.10 (fully updated). They all work fine under Windows XP Pro, which I am dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lightbulb Battlefront II, Xfire, Soldat, etc. run in Ubuntu

Hey all! I'm trying to get any of the following games to run under Ubuntu 6.10 (fully updated). They all work fine under Windows XP Pro, which I am dual booting.

Soldat (www.soldat.pl)

Star Wars: Battlefront II

Xfire (game client, www.xfire.com)

I gave up on Halo after reading some articles. Any ideas would be accepted though.

Lego Star Wars

The 3D Gamemaker

All help is appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. Most of these I haven't tried even in Wine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by prestosd
    Hey all! I'm trying to get any of the following games to run under Ubuntu 6.10 (fully updated). They all work fine under Windows XP Pro, which I am dual booting.
    Personally, if they're all working fine in MS Windows (the OS for which they were written) I wouldn't bother messing with them in Linux. Your best bet would be either plain WINE or a commercial product called Transgaming Cedega, but both of these will take a lot of work to get going and there's no guarantee your games will run well, or at all.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Unhappy

Thanks, I guess I could just use them in M$....but I would really like to completely switch to Ubuntu...if it's possible.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by prestosd
    Thanks, I guess I could just use them in M$....but I would really like to completely switch to Ubuntu...if it's possible.
    It's possible, certainly. It's likely going to take some work though. We do have some folks here on the forum who are much more familiar with WINE and other options, so hang in there. Perhaps they'll be able to tell you where to start. Good luck.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Smile

Okay, thanks! I'll wait and see what happens, in the mean time I'll mess around with Wine.

Linux Newbie

gaming

look here to see what can be run..

http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?iCatId=2

http://frankscorner.org/

There are alot of windows games that will run if your willing to go thru all the trouble to configure each one. Wine doesn't have .net support yet so many games won't install. Some games won't install everything and you will have to manually pull stuff off the cd's.
    Transgaming's Cedega I believe has better support and will probably do a better job.
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04