Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I tried to install HB, a windows Home Budget application, using wine. Here is what happened: jayr@ubuntu:~/extract/Budget$ wine setup_hbw32.exe wine: creating configuration directory '/home/jayr/.wine'... wine: '/home/jayr/.wine' created successfully. fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc WM_SETFONT: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

application install errors incomprehensible

I tried to install HB, a windows Home Budget application, using wine. Here is what happened:

jayr@ubuntu:~/extract/Budget$ wine setup_hbw32.exe
    wine: creating configuration directory '/home/jayr/.wine'...
    wine: '/home/jayr/.wine' created successfully.
    fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc WM_SETFONT: stub
    fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc WM_STYLECHANGING: stub
    fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc WM_STYLECHANGED: stub
    fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc WM_STYLECHANGING: stub
    fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc WM_STYLECHANGED: stub
    err:menubuilder:extract_icon32 LoadLibraryExW (L"c:\\Program Files\\HB\\hb.exe \ "C:\\Program Files\\HB\\sample.trn\"") failed, error 126
    err:menubuilder:InvokeShellLinker failed to fork and exec wineshelllink
    err:menubuilder:extract_icon32 LoadLibraryExW (L"C:\\Program Files\\HB\\HB.hlp") failed, error 193
    err:menubuilder:ExtractFromICO Invalid ico file format
    err:menubuilder:extract_icon32 LoadLibraryExW (L"C:\\Program Files\\HB\\Readme.t xt") failed, error 126
    jayr@ubuntu:~/extract/Budget$

That all sounds like Greek to me. Can someone please explain to me what went wrong and what I might do to fix it?

When I try to run the program, I get this:

jayr@ubuntu:~$ cd .wine
    jayr@ubuntu:~/.wine$ wine hb.exe
    wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\hb.exe": Module not found
    jayr@ubuntu:~/.wine$

Thanks!

Jay

Well first of all, the 'wine' command works like windows 'run' command. If you do not specify the path, it will goto system 32 (where notepad, my computer, regedit etc. is located). This is known as a 'system 32 module', and "HB" has been installed in c:\\Program Files\\somewhere here (Probably Microsoft ______).

If you can't get it to work that way, I'd run file manager (Just double click 'Computer' on the desktop), double click home, jayr. Once in that folder, click 'view' on the top menu bar and click 'show hidden files'. search, or scroll for '.wine' and go into that folder. There should be the 'C:' folder and 2 other folders. Enter the C: folder and go into program files. Finally find your program, type wine in your terminal/konsole or whatever your distro uses and drag the correct .exe file onto the terminal (you won't have to type it out yourself) and hit enter.

I suggest you make a 'launcher'/'shortcut' to the C:/ folder on your desktop for future reference.

Note: Not all programs work on wine, some require the Windows VM and other system necceseties.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the input, Dan. I tried both ways and neither works.

jayr@ubuntu:~$ wine/home/jayr/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/HB/HB.exe
    -bash: wine/home/jayr/.wine/drive_c/Program: No such file or directory
    jayr@ubuntu:~$

The problem seems to be that no matter which way I try, there is no way to access the executable file because for some reason I cannot access the Program Files directory.

In File Manager, I can navigate to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/HB/HB.exe without any problem. The directories and files are all there. But if I try to access them through the Terminal, when I type cd Program Files, it responds that there is no such directory. It is not a question of permissions since the directory has read-write permission for me. Oooops, I just checked and I see that all of the directories in the .wine directory have permissions set for User: Read-Write, but for Group:Read Only. Could that be it? If so, how do I fix it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. OK, what you do is use the file manager to point to wine programs. I'll give you some steps:

1. Open /home/<username>/ in the file manager (just folders)
    2. Click view and click 'view hidden files' if you haven't already
    3. Open the .wine folder
    4. Open the c:/program files/<software vendor>/<program.exe> folders
    5. Open the terminal and type wine then a space
    6. DRAG that file from the folder into the terminal
    7. Now just hit enter, simple-as!

The problem is, you can't type it because there is a space between Program-Files. here we have a problem, and the only thing we can do is to drag the file, that way the OS will generate the right file location and filenames for you.

If the above does not work (which it should, it never fails for me), then the only thing left to try is to denote spaces with either:
    $ or %20 (I know the dollar sign is used in some Operating Systems/Command lines as spaces and the %20 is used as spaces in web-addresses)

Good Luck,
    Dan

PS: I know that terminal is very important in linux, but you need to work with the GUI integration as well as the terminal. That's why its there. Ever need more help, PM me or i'll probably find your thread somewhere!

Oooops, I just checked and I see that all of the directories in the .wine directory have permissions set for User: Read-Write, but for Group:Read Only. Could that be it? If so, how do I fix it?
    No, this isn't the problem. If you had insufficient permissions, it would find the file/directory but tell you that you haven't got permission to run that file/folder. It's a case of spaces.

Note: If you say run an executeable text file, you WILL need to change the permissions. If it isn't in the /home section, you have to be root (don't log in, just type su in terminal). You simply have to type [code]chmod a+x <filename/directory and filename here>

Lol, the amount of times i've seen terminal errors:
    -bash: wine/home/jayr/.wine/drive_c/Program: No such file or directory

why "-bash"? to bash your progress and get you steamed up???

(i'm guessing it's a command line but still, lol)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by danvds3
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. OK, what you do is use the file manager to point to wine programs. I'll give you some steps:

1. Open /home/<username>/ in the file manager (just folders)
    2. Click view and click 'view hidden files' if you haven't already
    3. Open the .wine folder
    4. Open the c:/program files/<software vendor>/<program.exe> folders
    5. Open the terminal and type wine then a space
    6. DRAG that file from the folder into the terminal
    7. Now just hit enter, simple-as!

The problem is, you can't type it because there is a space between Program-Files. here we have a problem, and the only thing we can do is to drag the file, that way the OS will generate the right file location and filenames for you.

If the above does not work (which it should, it never fails for me), then the only thing left to try is to denote spaces with either:
    $ or %20 (I know the dollar sign is used in some Operating Systems/Command lines as spaces and the %20 is used as spaces in web-addresses)

Good Luck,
    Dan

PS: I know that terminal is very important in linux, but you need to work with the GUI integration as well as the terminal. That's why its there. Ever need more help, PM me or i'll probably find your thread somewhere!
    Thanks, Dan. Sounded reasonable, so I tried it and here is what happened:

jayr@ubuntu:~$ cd .wine/drive_c
    jayr@ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c$ cd Program%20Files
    -bash: cd: Program%20Files: No such file or directory
    jayr@ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c$ cd Program$Files
    -bash: cd: Program: No such file or directory
    jayr@ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c$ ls
    Program Files windows
    jayr@ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c$ cd
    jayr@ubuntu:~$ wine /home/jayr/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/HB/HB.exe (by dragging)
    wine: cannot find '/home/jayr/.wine/drive_c/Program'
    jayr@ubuntu:~$

No joy!

Jay

Hey Jay.

Well, in the PM I posted to you a few days ago (Program\ Files to make spaces in directory command lines). Did it work? How is your progress with linux going?

Well I hope you have a good experience, a Learning one.
    Good luck,
    Dan
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    George S. Patton

Just Joined!
    Hi Dan,

Finally gave up on the Xubuntu. First, it was a very small installation from the "alternative" CD which I had to do because of limited memory on the old PC I was using. This meant that many library files were not included in the distribution which was causing me untold headaches. Also, the machine was really slow which made it rather annoying to work on when problems occurred. So I decided to install Mandriva on my main computer to dual boot with Windows. Worked like a charm--well, almost--heheh. It is really fast and has just about everything pre-installed. I have learned that for the time being it will be best to avoid compiling and just install from packages. I guess I will have to compromise a bit (rather than using wine) and just re-enter old data like phone numbers and bank records into new apps which I will use instead of the old Windows ones.

I'm getting the hang of it I think and I like it. One issue I have is that the third and fourth buttons on my mouse do not react at all, contrary to Xubuntu where it worked fine. There are no options to configure those buttons in the mouse GUI settings. Seemed like the Logitech mouse was recognized so I have no ideas how that might be fixed up if at all.

Cheers.

Jay

Just Joined!
    Well, I have just learned that Logitech does not furnish Linux drivers. I was able to find alternative drivers which give me most of the functionality of the mouse. Better than nothing, I guess.

Forward...

Jay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast