Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have been running Wine 0.9.30 installed from source tarball. I want to upgrade to the latest wine release and not sure how? According to what I have read, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine Upgrade from 0.9.30 to 0.9.35 or any newer version

Hello,

I have been running Wine 0.9.30 installed from source tarball.
    I want to upgrade to the latest wine release and not sure how? According to what I have read, I can do patches but I see hundreds of individual patches but nothing that will step me easily from my release to the current source code release. (newbie here)

Is there and patch are series of patches that will bring me from wine 0.9.30 to 0.9.35?

What happens if I try to install 0.9.35 "on top" of mycurrent 0.9.30 wine? Will that mess things up?

I am running WoW in wine and I really hate to uninstall 0.9.30 and install 0.9.35 and have to reinstall WoW (which has always been iffy for me).

Thanks for thougths.

I don't know about patching wine to the latest version, but you can uninstall the old version and install the new one without having to re-install any of your Windows programs. They're all kept in your ~/.wine/drive_c directory, which the uninstaller doesn't touch.

I've done it this way dozens of times myself, and never lost a thing (even when I changed from source-based installs to packaged installs). The only thing that ever gave me any grief as far as my ~/.wine directory was the third-party Sidenet utility (which always wanted to create a fresh .wine directory), but that's been discontinued.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Well could you tell a noob how to uninstall and install the new wine?

Go into wine's source directory, and type this as root:
    Code:
    make uninstall
    That'll uninstall the existing version, which has to be done before installing the new one. After it's done, it's safe to delete the old source directory. Then go into the new version's source directory (which you extracted from the tarball you downloaded, right?) and check out the README or INSTALL. One of them will tell you to type this in:
    Code:
    ./tools/wineinstall
    which you need to do as a normal user. (It'll warn you if you're trying to do it as root.) Follow the instructions, which consist mostly of making a sandwich, and in an hour or two you'll have the latest wine ready to go.

Just Joined!
    How do you get into wines source directory?

Just Joined!
    How do you get into wines source directory?
    I use mostly RPM's but I could not find an rpm for FC5 so this is what I did and I am not real good at working with source code.
    Where every you downloaded the source code you will find the .bz2 or .tar file (at least for me). If it is a .bz2 type file you use bunzip2 command to unzip it and you will see a that same directory that you will now have the same file but now it has only the .tar extention. Use the tar -xvf command to untar the file. When you do that a directory will be created and all of the individual files will be placed inside that "source" directory. This is where you are to go into that creted direactory and to the ./configure, make, make depend, and install commands to install the New wine source files.
    For example I downloaded my wine source file "wine-0.9.36.tar.bz2" to a directory I simply call /Downloads: Look at my wine files:
    Code:
    thtv@245 Downloads]$ ls -ld wine*
    drwxrwxr-x 11 mythtv mythtv     4096 Feb 17 13:22 wine-0.9.31
    -rw-rw-r--  1 mythtv mythtv 84684800 Feb 17 11:03 wine-0.9.31.tar
    -rw-rw-r--  1 mythtv mythtv      189 Feb 17 11:04 wine-0.9.31.tar.bz2.sign
    drwxrwxr-x 11 mythtv mythtv     4096 May  6 16:56 wine-0.9.36
    -rw-rw-r--  1 mythtv mythtv 86374400 May  6 16:32 wine-0.9.36.tar
    -rw-rw-r--  1 mythtv mythtv      189 May  6 16:33 wine-0.9.36.tar.bz2.sign
    Notice that you do not see a file called "wine-0.9.36.tar.bz2". That is because this snapshot is taken after I did the bunzip2 command. Something like: $ bunzip2 wine-0.9.36.tar.bz2. But the "wine-0.9.36.tar" file was unzipped. Next I did a $ tar -xvf wine-0.9.36.tar command which created the directory as you see here:
    drwxrwxr-x 11 mythtv mythtv 4096 May 6 16:56 wine-0.9.36
    Change directory to go to here $ cd wine-0.9.36 do to all of the ./configure make, make depend, install stuff for the new wine source code. Also down below I have place a link. NOTICE that user and root priveledges make a difference for the make, make depend, and install commands:
    $ ./configure
    $ make depend
    $ make
    # make install
    I have NO Idea what I was supposed to do with the .sign file so I did nothing /shrug

Oh BTW you need to uninstall the old wine first before instaling the new wine version. Now not confuse you any further but to uninstall wine if you installed it with source code origially you have (Ithink but not sure) to go to that directory to do the make uninstall command. For example look at my directories above you will see an older version of wine I had installed:
    drwxrwxr-x 11 mythtv mythtv 4096 Feb 17 13:22 wine-0.9.31

I went into that directory to to the "make uninstall" command.

I found these sites very helpful:
    For removing old Wine versions:
    http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine...NG-WINE-SOURCE

For working with source code installations and tar files:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...ms_from_Source

Please let me know if I have errored

There's no need to do anything with the .sign file. I think it's just a number against which to check your download (like an MD5 sum) if you want to make sure the download isn't corrupted.

There's a slightly easier way to deal with bzipped tarballs. You can extract them in one command, like so:
    Code:
    tar -xvjf wine-0.9.36.tar.bz2
    The "j" in tar's options tells tar decompress on the fly using bzip2's algorithm. This will give you the source directory, while leaving the original tarball intact.

It's also odd that the winehq docs tell you to run ./configure, make depend, make, and make install manually. The README still recommends running ./tools/wineinstall, which will automate the whole process.

But again, it's important that you first go to where you saved your current wine version's source and uninstall that version (with make uninstall). Of course, if you installed it from your package manager, then just have your package manager uninstall it.