Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I keep finding references to running DOS programs under Wine, but cannot find any instructions how to do it. I am trying to run Foxpro 2.0 LAN, a DOS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WINE - Running DOS Programs

Hi,

I keep finding references to running DOS programs under Wine, but cannot find any instructions how to do it. I am trying to run Foxpro 2.0 LAN, a DOS program, under wine. The reason is that Wine has perfected the file and record locks that operate as under DOS, whereas Dosemu does not have such perfected file and record locks. I am thinking that running the DOS program under Wine would be a simple way of solving the problem. Although the program works fine in a single user mode, in a networked mode the file and record locking does not work and is crucial.

I do know that Wine developers have perfected the record locking for Visual Foxpro, so.............

Thanks
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ostrowlaw View Post
    I am trying to run Foxpro 2.0 LAN, a DOS program, under wine. The reason is that Wine has perfected the file and record locks that operate as under DOS, whereas Dosemu does not have such perfected file and record locks. I am thinking that running the DOS program under Wine would be a simple way of solving the problem. Although the program works fine in a single user mode, in a networked mode the file and record locking does not work and is crucial.
    One thing you might find interesting is that DOS doesn't actually support "record locks". Instead, what Foxpro does is have a "hidden" single character field which indicates whether or not a record is locked. The sequence of events for a record lock/unlock is:

1) The file is locked.
    2) The "hidden" lock field is updated.
    3) The file is unlocked.

These three events take place very quickly because obviously only one computer can perform a record lock on a given database at a time.

This information doesn't actually help solve your problem, but it might help you understand that the problem boils down exclusively to file locking. "Record locking", doesn't actually exist in DOS. For Foxpro, it's all about file locking and nothing else.

(This contrasts with Access, which uses page locks in addition to file locks.)

As for your original problem...I don't see any particular reason why you can't just run "wine foxpro.exe". As with any other Windows/DOS program, you'll want to install the files into the appropriate subdirectory of ~/.wine/ (or configure wine to use a different partition as the C: drive).

Run the command "wine" by itself to configure it. You may want to use "Windows 98" mode.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan