Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a newby (1 wk) and need help. I'm trying to run the Wine program for running windows applications. When I try to execute "wine programABC.exe" in the terminal window, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running Wine on Ubuntu

I'm a newby (1 wk) and need help. I'm trying to run the Wine program for running windows applications.
    When I try to execute "wine programABC.exe" in the terminal window, the return is
    wine: could not load :"c:\\windows\\system32\\programABC.exe: Module not found

The module was loaded with the Installation Wizard to \.wine\drive_c\Program Files\programABC
    My first thought is that the module would be found if I could change the path to the Program Files instead of Windows/system32.
    Is that a valid thing to try? If so, what are the commands?
    I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and Wine 0.9.37 and GNOME Terminal 2.18.0 .
    Thanks, Fredric

Just Joined!
    what you're typing should work, but you might also try using the absolute path and linux notation, like this:

wine /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/programABC.exe

I don't think you need quotes, as long as you remember to spell out 'Program Files' as 'Program\ Files'. Of course, that does have to be the path to the executable. (Put your username where it says '<username>'.)

Just Joined!
    or, better, launch your ABCapp inside the directory where it is .

So inside terminal, before execute wine ABC.exe, get in the ABCapp directory using cd command

Pet

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks Radiodee1, Petengy,
    I got it to work by copying ABC file in 'Program Files' to System32.
    I've not been able to change the terminal default directory (System32), but no big problem. The copy, paste route works fine.
    Fredl

Just Joined!

But

Dear Fred

Your solution make ABCapp work but put it inside system32 folder is not the correct way, because that folder is used by wine to store all the dll's !
    Is really better if u understand how to "navigate" inside folders.
    Rembee when in a folder name there are spaces to put "\" after the last charatcter before the space.

ie. to get inside a folder named xxx yyy z u have to write: cd xxx\ yyy\ z

Just Joined!
    Thanks Petengy,
    CD worked flawlessly today. I must have been trying to CD from wine before. Your reassurance that it would indeed work got me over the hump. Thanks,
    Fred