Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I found information on a bug that I'm experiencing in Wine 0.9.39. There is a patch available for it but I have no idea how to patch my install. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I add a Wine Patch?

Hi,

I found information on a bug that I'm experiencing in Wine 0.9.39. There is a patch available for it but I have no idea how to patch my install. Can anyone teach me how to patch it?

Information on the specific bug and the patch is available here:
    Bug 8709 - Installation of Office 2000 failes with an Unhandled page fault

Thanks so much in advance!

In order to patch a program you need to first get the source, patch it and then build it. You can't patch binaries
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux Newbie
    I also need to patch wine to get pressure sensibility in my tablet, under wine. Trying to answer the first question, while I never applied a patch myself, I think it must be somewhat like described here:
    HOWTO COD4
    - tutorial for a specific patch needed to run some game.

I've read in another forum (Vector Linux distro) that there's a patch for it. My question is how specific to versions and distributions the patches are.

In the mentioned case, not only the guy was using another distribution than mine (mine is Debian Lenny), but his wine version was 0.9.61, whie mine currently is 1.0-rc2.

There's something on the wine wiki about tablet support, but I've not yet found this answer.

Linux Guru
    My first advice: wine has just reached stable 1.0. So, *BEFORE* doing anything else, you should upgrade and test if your problems are gone. The office one for sure, about the tablet one I don't know.

To apply a patch you need to download the sources, patch, and then compile it yourself. So, instead of doing that, download 1.0 and compile that. In the wine site you will find instructions and download links (maybe even binary downloads for your distro, that will save you a compilation).

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for that! You made me realize that the "RC" stands for "release candidate", I didn't know what it is, I just assumed that was something "more" than 1.0 already, not a sort of beta version...