Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello and thanks. am trying to set up a dos type serial port in .wine/dosdevices. I see ports files setup as symbolic links with the linux devices. lrwxrwxrwx 1 scott.g ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux newbie needs help with serial port in wine

Hello and thanks. am trying to set up a dos type serial port in .wine/dosdevices. I see ports files setup as symbolic links with the linux devices.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 scott.g root 10 2007-07-08 12:27 com1 -> /dev/ttyS0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 scott.g root 10 2007-06-28 22:07 com2 -> /dev/ttyS1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 scott.g root 10 2007-06-28 22:07 com3 -> /dev/ttyS2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 scott.g root 10 2007-06-28 22:07 com4 -> /dev/ttyS3

If I try to run a application that calls a port I get "Port Locked" which I understand is because I do not belong to the group that the devices do.

I am pretty new with linux and don't quite understand all the "groups". In the gnome GUI I set my user ID up for groups (root) and (tty) but still no go. It is better for me if I can learn these commands from a non-GUI command line entry.

If I login as root and try to run the application I do not get teh "Port Locked" error, but the software locks up with an I/O error, well one thing at a time...

Thanks for the help and tips, Scott

Just Joined!
    I don't know much about serial ports, but I can tell you about the command-line tool to add a user to a group. (Maybe you know this already!!) As root, type:

Code:
    adduser <some-user-name> <some-group>
    then the user 'some-user-name' will now belong to 'some-group'. If you want more info on the command, type 'man adduser'. If you want to find out what groups a user belongs to, type 'groups <some-user-name>'. Again, you can find out about the 'groups' command by typing 'man groups'. When you're looking at a man page, you exit by typing 'q'.

Thank you for the great info, I did try to add to groups in the GUI but it did not seem to work. I temporally changed the ownership of the /dev/ttyS0 device to my user name, and that eliminated the error. But I think it would be more effective for me to add my username to the group of the port.

I'll try it tonight when I get home.