Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Lol.........I see no point to this whole thread..... but i totaly recomend firefox...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lol.........I see no point to this whole thread..... but i totaly recomend firefox
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

dt2
    Just Joined!
    Hilarious...here I had just posted a poll ("Browser call") with an option for "IE under Wine" as a joke....and here is a real life example. May be a good reason, but still hilarious....

Just Joined!
    Personally, I'd just use a real Windows install, since versions from Windows 95 onwards have it.

But... I've gotten IE6 under WINE without flaw (meaning IE runs... IE's compatibility is still almost non-existent).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by mis2o
    Opnosforatou, have you tried it?
    Yeah, and my reaction was: EEEEEEEK
    rm -r ($Home)/.wine/c_drive/IE -f <enter>

I'm back to firefox..
    Sites that are IE only are plain dull.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Re: my explanation for this

Quote Originally Posted by mis2o
    why do i want to run IE under Wine? because i'm programming web pages
    and i need IE as a reference (as it is still the most used browser in the world, whatever buggy and unstable it is).

of course i know and use other browsers, too - such as Mozilla, but in this case it won't help me. i want to be able to see how my pages look like under IE without the need to have Linux - Windows dual boot (and reboot all the time ) and without the need to purchase some commercial product such as CrossOver.

in fact, i know very little about windoze emulators, that's why i'm asking you. i would need someone who succesfully installed and uses IE under Wine or other emulator. this script i used to install IE works only with
    certain version of Wine, the author says it won't work with any other and i would like to use a more flexible solution. so if know about something, please give me a hint.
    If you are developing web pages, validate them with this page. If it validates there and IE still doesn't display it, then that is M$'s fault for not being w3c compliant.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Yep, I only make standards compliant XHTML web pages and I am not botherd about most IE users being able to view them properly or not. But a plugin for firefox that emulates IE style rules would come in very handy. It would remove the need to run IE in wine or have a windows installation (I do/have neither of those anyway) Most of my webpages are linux specific and i only really expect linux users to view them, One or two of my sites are not specific to linux and I do need to make sure that they work in all browsers (at the momment i have to go to the library and test on windows computers)

Quote Originally Posted by variant
    Yep, I only make standards compliant XHTML web pages and I am not botherd about most IE users being able to view them properly or not. But a plugin for firefox that emulates IE style rules would come in very handy. It would remove the need to run IE in wine or have a windows installation (I do/have neither of those anyway) Most of my webpages are linux specific and i only really expect linux users to view them, One or two of my sites are not specific to linux and I do need to make sure that they work in all browsers (at the momment i have to go to the library and test on windows computers)
    And another thing to do is add something to your page that says, "This page is best when viewed with Mozilla FireFox.", linking them to the FF website.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Firstly --- I installed IE6 on Linux because I got tired of having to reboot into windows everytime I wanted to do QA on a site I'm developing, so :P

Goto http://frankscorner.org/modules.php?...rtid=49&page=1

I followed the second method and it worked for me. I also had a CD with IE6 already on it (it came with one of those PC mags) so I just copied the CAB files into the required directory. Saved quite a bit of time.

Regards,

Just Joined!

Running IE6 from windows partitiion thru wine

I too agree, IE is horrible, but unfortunately I'm adding functionality to a web app that has Active X in it, therefore it only works in IE. I have access to my windows partition and just want to run it from there and not install it in Linux. Has anyone successfully accomplished that. When I try to run IE6 in wine I get: "wine: cannot open (null)"

Just Joined!

Internet Explorer

Although I do agree that Mozilla/Firefox/Epiphany/Opera are all better than Internet Explorer, there is good reason to test web applications in all possible browsers. I tried semi-successfully to set up IE under Fedore Core 2. The best resource I found was at http://patrick.spacesurfer.com/ie_wine_install.html with minor modification. It was not necessary to install DCOM98.exe. Modify your config file such that you have:
    [Version]
    "Windows" = "win98"
    and
    [DllOverrides]
    ; some dlls you may want to change
    "oleaut32" = "builtin, native"
    "ole32" = "builtin, native"
    "commdlg" = "builtin, native"
    "comdlg32" = "builtin, native"
    "shell" = "builtin, native"
    "shell32" = "builtin, native"
    "shfolder" = "builtin, native"
    "shlwapi" = "builtin, native"
    "shdocvw" = "builtin, native"
    "advapi32" = "builtin, native"
    "msvcrt" = "native, builtin"
    "mciavi.drv" = "native, builtin"
    "mcianim.drv" = "native, builtin"
    "cfgmgr32" = "native, builtin"
    ; For ie6
    "*comctl32" = "builtin"
    "mshtml" = "native, builtin"
    ; For Outlook97
    "mapi" = "native, builtin"
    "mapi32" = "native, builtin"
    ; Native dlls needed for various parts of the install
    "ole32" = "native, builtin"
    "compobj" = "native, builtin"
    "ole2" = "native, builtin"
    "ole2nls" = "native, builtin"
    "ole2conv" = "native, builtin"
    "ole2prox" = "native, builtin"
    "ole2thk" = "native, builtin"
    "storage" = "native, builtin"
    "olepro32" = "native, builtin"
    "rpcrt4" = "native, builtin"
    "oleaut32" = "native, builtin"
    "msvcrt" = "native, builtin"
    "wininet" = "native, builtin"
    ; for the ie runonce
    "setupapi" = "native, builtin"
    "devenum" = "native, builtin"
    "quartz" = "native, builtin"
    "urlmon" = "native"
    "shdocvw" = "native, builtin"
    "jscript" = "native, builtin"
    "wintrust" = "native, builtin"
    "shlwapi" = "native, builtin"
    "secur32" = "native, builtin"
    "crypt32" = "native, builtin"
    "ddraw" = "native, builtin"
    ; default for all other dlls
    "*" = "builtin, native"
    as mentioned on that website (Many thanks to that author!). At that point run the ie6setup.exe with 'wine ie6setup'. I used a custom install without the help files, just the browser and VBScript enabled. This caused the browser to not work as expected (I can't explain why). Using a default install it worked ok. After installing run wineboot. For some reason the first run would connect to msn.com and nothing else. After closing and re-running it was able to connect to other websites. Note: run the program by typing wine iexplore in the .wine/c/Program Files/Internet Explorer directory.

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast