Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
hi, i'm quite new to Wine, i've installed it just today The first thing i began to look for was running Internet Explorer (possibly v.6) under Linux. i found a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet Explorer under WINE

hi, i'm quite new to Wine, i've installed it just today The first thing i began
    to look for was running Internet Explorer (possibly v.6) under Linux. i found a site which says it's possible with Wine, so i downloaded and installed it. i got Wine to work without any problems, but couldn't install IE. the author of the script says it's only supposed to work with Wine 20041212 and i've got version 20040505, so it's no surprise. i would like to ask if you don't know about some sollution which would also work with my version of Wine or with any other Windows emulator which is free.
    thanx

Just Joined!

Why IE?

In general I do not believe in questioning someone's software choices. However, when the choice makes it hard for them to having working choices, I do have to ask. There are a variety of quite good linux native web browsers like mozilla, firefox, konqueror, epiphany, and opera. Why would you choose to run IE in wine? I do not even run IE on Windows.

Just Joined!
    GOOD GOD MAN!!!! WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO SUCH A THING!?!?!??!?!

having said that.....

I never tried to run IE on Wine (as you can tell from the early statment), but all other programs I have tried to run worked fine.

Do you get any error messages? Maybe posting them would be a good idea.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hence 20040505 is the release from may 5th this year.
    20041212 would be released december 12th.

If you want a IE look a like, install Firefox and download the IE skin.
    It's basicly the same afterthat. Only faster and way more stable.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!

my explanation for this

why do i want to run IE under Wine? because i'm programming web pages
    and i need IE as a reference (as it is still the most used browser in the world, whatever buggy and unstable it is).

of course i know and use other browsers, too - such as Mozilla, but in this case it won't help me. i want to be able to see how my pages look like under IE without the need to have Linux - Windows dual boot (and reboot all the time ) and without the need to purchase some commercial product such as CrossOver.

in fact, i know very little about windoze emulators, that's why i'm asking you. i would need someone who succesfully installed and uses IE under Wine or other emulator. this script i used to install IE works only with
    certain version of Wine, the author says it won't work with any other and i would like to use a more flexible solution. so if know about something, please give me a hint.

I''ll check it out this weekend.
    Got 20040505 running. Use it to develop in Lotus Notes.
    I'll see if I can get IE to work and what DLL's woudl be needed.

Oh and I found that website.
    It says: must use the 20031212 Weblink
    That's and oldie... I'm gonna try it with 20040505.

Other links to: How to install IE using wine:

Link1
    Link2

Google
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!

That is a good reason

I was away for awhile and I just caught your reply.

why do i want to run IE under Wine? because i'm programming web pages
    and i need IE as a reference (as it is still the most used browser in the world, whatever buggy and unstable it is).

of course i know and use other browsers, too - such as Mozilla, but in this case it won't help me. i want to be able to see how my pages look like under IE without the need to have Linux - Windows dual boot (and reboot all the time Exclamation) and without the need to purchase some commercial product such as CrossOver.
    Well that is certainly a good reason. I would worry about whether any problems I saw were due to your web pages, or IE or wine? You have added an extra variable. A commercial solution like Crossover, win4lin, or vmware might be more reliable if you can afford it.

Linux Engineer
    I think a better option to running IE under wine for web developers like us would be a plugin for *generic browser here* that displayd pages useing IE's style rules.. theyshouldnt be too hard to work out via trial and error if such a plugin does not allready exist. if you know of one please let me know!

Linux Guru
    As far as I know, IE is one of these typical applications that cannot be run in Wine since Microsoft has used a ton of undocumented API calls in making it.

Just Joined!
    Opnosforatou, have you tried it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast