Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to get Office 2003 installed using WINE; it seems to unpack properly and create directories as if it was on XP. I get past the part ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Office 2003 install suddenly halts

I have been trying to get Office 2003 installed using WINE; it seems to unpack properly and create directories as if it was on XP. I get past the part where the password is required (even though my copy is an "Enterprise" edition that did not need a PW on the Windoze box) and the installer simply quits. No warning, no error, just disappears from the desktop. Has anyone had any success getting Office 2003 working that could steer me in the right direction?

from the Wine Application DB - Viewing App- Microsoft Office Version - 2003 it seems yes it's possible to use it with wine version 0.9.35 and above so check your version and the configuration however openoffice is more than enough for me.

Regards-
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!

Try wine-0.9.42 when it comes out

There have been recent changes to MS Office 2003 support
    in wine. Try with current git, or wait for wine-0.9.42 at the
    end of the month.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    from the Wine Application DB - Viewing App- Microsoft Office Version - 2003 it seems yes it's possible to use it with wine version 0.9.35 and above so check your version and the configuration however openoffice is more than enough for me.

Regards-
    Thanks for the link, what I was missing was IE6; for some ungodly reason that's required for the install. M$ strikes again! I tried to get that going using IEs4Linux and was unable to get that going either. ARGH! The problem w/ OpenOffice is their equivalent to Equation Editor doesn't mesh well with previous reports that I need that were originally written in Word, and it doesn't translate well to colleagues of mine who are still running only Windoze/Office. The other problem is OO detected that I was using a dark theme and reverted to the "high contrast" appearance, despite the fact that I disabled automatic detection for a high contrast theme while still using the default KDE theme from my distro, and has steadfastly refused my attempts to revert it back. The high contrast appearance for OO is absolutely hideous and literally gives me a headache to look at for any length of time due to eyestrain.