Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Dude msn isnt a 'wine' app. You shouldnt be so rude when people are comming in and putting their time and suggestions forward for your help, there are alternatives to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Dude msn isnt a 'wine' app.

You shouldnt be so rude when people are comming in and putting their time and suggestions forward for your help, there are alternatives to everything but if you want what windows gives you then use windows.

If its your fit, then use it. For me its a waste of time and money, when linux does everything that i need done (uni assignments and quake3).

Your attitude buggs me, criticising peoples expertise just because it doesnt help you.

Dont whine when people help you, they arent you they dont know exactly what you want. They dont even need to care what you want, so you should appreciate any of their advice thats thrown your way, because there is no reason for you to deserve it.

If you want to, there are other applications for webcam support not integrated with msn and there are games that you can play networked with friends, and thereis even remote access with linux...

However if you want to use microsofts programs i would really reccommend that you use mircrosofts programs with microsofts products because thats where its going to be most supported. Linux isnt something you use because its 'cool' just like all other software its just a tool. and as such should be treated like one. You shouldnt use a circular saw to cut some wire.

If you want full supported MSN then go to windows.
    /skythra

don
    Linux Newbie
    ok just to let u know, programs that use encryption under windows uses the Microsoft CryptoAPI, which is not loaded correctly in wine, so if the app allows the option to bypass security then it would run fine, else crashes.
    I\'m just a simple fisherman blessed with a lot of friends

Just Joined!

aMSN & be good

GAIM sucks my rear end. I've installed aMSN and it was relatively quite easy to do. When I have some more time I'll put up all the instructions on how to do install aMSN. In the mean time I've gotta go eat something.

I notice that some people are really bashing newbies who complain about Linux and all of Linux's handicaps. Those who do this might want to pull their heads out of the toilet and remember that the Linux/Fedora Core community don't need haters like you. Be constructive instead of freaking out on people who get frustrated with using Linux. It's not user-friendly and a lot of people don't have 10 hours/day to spend searching for what they need. Despite all it's great qualities, Linux has a long way to go into making its operating system friendly enough to put Uncle Bill in the poorhouse.

Linux Enthusiast
    Linux is more user-friendly than Windows in a lot of ways, the main difficulties are companies not making Linux drivers for their hardware.
    1. Linux is open-source, and the developers' goal is to make a good system, while microsoft's goal is profit. Which one sounds more suited to the end-user?
    2. Windows tries to impose it's own built-in software on you (desktop shell, Internet Explorer, etc.) and make it very difficult to remove them in favor of anything else. Linux comes in a variety of forms (distros), and has very different interfaces, and the user can choose their preference quite easily. Which is more friendly to the user?
    3. Windows is known for needing careful maintenance, or the system becomes bogged down with adware, viruses, fragmented filesystems, and general messes. Most recent distros of Linux can stay fast, effecient, and stable for a long time without hardly any maintenance, and viruses/adware is almost non-existant due to the increased default security. Which one is easier for the user? Especially the average user who doesn't want to mess with maintenance?
    4. Due to the propietary nature of windows, something like Windows Update can only update core components, and those components can't be updated very well without updating a million other things because it's all fit tight together. Also, program installers have to go through a process that may be confusing to the average user who just wants it to work. In Linux, updating with something like up2date, yum, or apt-get is a piece of cake, and has the added benefit of being able to update almost any software on the system, depending on where it was installed from. Also, because of the modular nature of Linux, it's much more practical to update core components (the kernel in particular) without damaging the performance/abilities of other applications. Finally, RPM, deb, and other package management systems make installation of programs and libraries a breeze. Many package management systems also include dependency trackers, to make installation much easier. Which one is more useful to the average user?

- Windows almost always works out-of-the-box, and Linux is quickly approaching that level. Unlike Windows however, Linux is much easier to fix if something goes wrong, and it's a *lot* more scalable, which means it's going to be available on all sorts of systems. Thus, users and developers alike can just get used to one system.
    - The largest areas where Linux lacks in hardware support are wireless networking and usb routers/modems. I'm aware that installation can be a pain if you require the use of such hardware, but again, that is more the fault of the manufacter's for not making linux drivers.
    - Linux has great support from the community, and replies are often much more comprehensive and useful than anything I've ever heard from a windows or windows related tech support personnel... This forum is an excellent example.

- About the bashing of newbies... The only newbies who should be bashed are those that insist on asking really annoying questions on things that should be obvious to anyone, or those who post without searching on a really common issue.

Now for something that's actually OT... I've found Gaim to be a wonderful client, my only complaint being it can't send files>1MB on the yahoo protocol (the original yahoo client can).
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!

Yum

Here's a link to how I do all my updates/installs. For me, it's the easiest way I've found so far to do stuff in Linux. If you're not familiar with "yum" all the explanations you need are on this website. Have fun

http://fedoraguide.org/fc2/fc2beginnersguide.html

Just Joined!
    i have been searching for a while now to try and find a way to get msn messenger to run under linux mainly for webcam otherwise id be more than happy useing kopete. untill now all i have heard is "its not possible" today however i was chating on an irc channel and someone i know there mentioned to me that although he hasnt tried it himself yet there is a site he found (in japanese) that has some screenshots of it running useing wine so he reacons it is possible and that mabey the configureation program on that site is the key. what do you guy's think?

http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/config.html

i might give it a try later and see if i can get it running on my laptop. if anyone else feels like giving it a try please let me know how you get on.

cheers,
    owen

Just Joined!
    Hasn't anybody noticed that all the servers aren't running microsofts product anymore ........ Why ??????

Because its bulky, slow, and Solid (you cant fix most problems)

People want the exact opposite so they go with linux which has many features in a smoother cleaner package

Ease of use comes with bulk

Just Joined!

webcam

That bothers the hell outta me. I love linux. It's so clean and simple. Window's all messy with all sorts of junk laying around.
    Anywho: I'm gonna go criminally insane soon if I don't find a messenger that can interact with a webcam conversation with users on msn messenger. I've downloaded amsn, and boy does it suck my piercet ****. ^_^
    Can't anybody write a decent messenger program with webcam availability?! Jeez.

jvx
    Just Joined!
    Dunno if it has webcam support, but you can try Psi: http://psi.affinix.com/
    It's actually a Jabber client program, but with the right server you can use MSN protocol!
    Gaim is good but not perfect (doesn't change my display name : ( ), but aMSN is near to perfection!

Linux Engineer
    I never tried it, but there is a version of gaim supporting webcams. It can be found here: http://gaim-vv.sourceforge.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2