Find the answer to your Linux question:
Currently I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire 5100 pre-installed. I've burnt something like 12 different LiveCD's, and none of them will work with my built in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Wireless internet problems?

Currently I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire 5100 pre-installed. I've burnt something like 12 different LiveCD's, and none of them will work with my built in WiFi card. Can I go on the internet through WiFi with a LiveCD, this is a laptop. It has a built in WiFi card, (I think Arethreos or something like that) and it recognizes the card in Kubuntu, but not Xubuntu or Edubuntu. It shows the card, but I need drivers for it I think. I also have a wireless card with Xterasys, and we have a Linksys wireless router (802.11g). How can I get WiFi to work? Does it work on LiveCD? If you need anymore info, please ask.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't know if it'll work, but try Sabayon. It's said that it works by default with pretty much all computer hardware.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Cool

Okay I'll try that. Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, ghosty1212

In response to your private message... Sabayon is actually on a liveCD, but it can be installed to the hard disk.
    oz

Hi ghosty1212,

If the chip set of your wireless device is indeed Atheros, and you are planning to eventually install a Linux distro to your laptop, Atheros is very well supported under Linux by the MadWifi drivers which you would have to compile if not included with your chosen distro. I swear by Atheros and MadWifi.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Okay thanks. I'll compile those drivers... And I should'a known about the LiveCD thing. I see it now. ;-;

The Sabayon thing worked, so now I just need to look into the code and find out about the driver support and try to implement them into my own version of Linux that I'm making.... Is it possible to do this? I could also just as easily get the madwifi to be standard in the distro, but anyways, the above seems easier. Is it possible?