Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all i am satheesh from india. i have two USB wlan devices. I want to insmod driver modules only at runtime. I have to insmod only the specific driver ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Reagrding Wireless LAN, Redhat/Fedora

hello all

i am satheesh from india. i have two USB wlan devices. I want to insmod driver modules only at runtime. I have to insmod only the specific driver modules realted to the device, not all modules. so i need to check what device i am inserting. for that i need vender and model number details of the device. How can i get that details? if it is a mass storage device, then i can get details from the file /proc/scsi/scsi.

Is there any such files for WLAN devices? or otherwise how can i get such details? The devices am having are D-Link DW-120 and Zydas.

Waiting for ur reply....

Thank u
    Regards
    Satheesh

Hmmm, I know nothing about DW-120, but I have a USB Zydas device. IIRC, with FC6 it works out of the box if you have all the current updates installed.

I used mine out of the box on Fedora 7 - I think I only needed to put a line in the /etc/modprobe.conf to alias the driver to the 'eth' device I wanted, then use 'system-config-network' to turn it on.

The Zydas USB stick I have seems a lot more reliable than the built-in broadcom BCMWL chipset in my laptop.

You should not have to select the drivers each time you insert the device; if your drivers are present and you have defined the device in /etc/modprobe.conf then the usb subsystem will automatically detect and activate the device when you plug it in.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

yeah, but

ty sir,

both wlan devices are working without any problem, but what i need is? i want to detect which wlan am connecting? so by using that info i can insmod specific drivers by bash script.

if it is a mass storage device, then i can get details from the file /proc/scsi/scsi. like this is there any files for wlan devices?

thank u

If 'iwconfig' doesn't provide the information, then I dont know where to point you. Poking through /proc is not for the faint hearted, maybe someone else can help? Or maybe someone's written a /proc guide and it's out there somewhere?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/