Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greeting everyone, I'm looking for a new wireless card that will be out of the box compatible with fedora core 6. My current D-Link wireless usb adapter doesn't work with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What Wireless Component Should I Buy?

Greeting everyone, I'm looking for a new wireless card that will be out of the box compatible with fedora core 6. My current D-Link wireless usb adapter doesn't work with it, and I'd like something that will work without having to fool around with ndiswrapper and such. I would like to purchase and adapter because I"m not sure how many slots are open on my motherboard, however if that's a requirement, I can check.

Thanks so much for your help,

-Ataxicwolf

Here is a listing of wireless devices supported or not by linux. Post back if any question
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    so in this list, it shows green, and then points to a link to the driver. Do I have to seperately install that driver with ndiswrapper? Or would it be included with the product?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The link is to linux drivers. I don't think that the product will include linux drivers, you have to go to the link provided and download the source code.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

With Fedora, you're just not going to have the same level of "ready to go" wirelessness you're going to find with say Ubuntu, so some devices are likely going to require at least some work.

I'm huge on Atheros based wireless devices. You can get the drivers at MadWifi and after you get the right packages installed in FC, (kernel-devel, kernel-sources, gcc etc...) the drivers are pretty easy to build and install if you follow the directions. Find simple and easy to follow directions for MadWifi drivers and Fedora Core 6 here.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    hmmm, I had been thinking about installing ubuntu rather than fedora this time. Do you think my D-Link wireless adapter would be supported through ubuntu?

Can you look on the device and see the model number and version? Also, plug it in and lets see the output of:
    Code:
    /sbin/lsusb
    If we're lucky it will have the ralink chipset which works very well in Ubuntu. I have a D-link and a Linksys usb device and both were plug and play with Ubuntu and both use Ralink.

If it is a Raylink chipset, maybe we'll get lucky and someone who has this device going in Fedora will jump in here. I'd like to know too since I could never get either of these devices working properly under CentOS.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-19-2007 at 02:18 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here