Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Dell Inspirion 1501: AMD Turion 64 x2 Processor Windows Vista Basic So... I want to load Ubuntu from a CD and ONLY by that CD. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dell Laptop w/ Wireless Internet -- Need Help!

I have a Dell Inspirion 1501:

AMD Turion 64 x2 Processor
    Windows Vista Basic

So...

I want to load Ubuntu from a CD and ONLY by that CD. I am not able to connect wirelessly using Ubuntu.

Anything I can do?

Do you know what kind of Wireless card you have?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by EricLeMaster View Post
    I want to load Ubuntu from a CD and ONLY by that CD.
    Yes, you can order a free CD from the Ubuntu folks, here:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Oops, now that I've read your post again, it sounds like you want to load files off the Ubuntu disk you already have. Is that correct? Or am I still reading it wrong?
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Oops, now that I've read your post again, it sounds like you want to load files off the Ubuntu disk you already have. Is that correct? Or am I still reading it wrong?
    I have the CD already.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Do you know what kind of Wireless card you have?
    Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm not running Ubuntu so can't check it directly, but here's a HowTo that tells how to add a CD to the package manager:

How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!

You should be able to disable the online repos.
    oz

Just Joined!
    What I am wanting to do is use my current wireless internet driver, for a Dell 1390 WLAN Mini-Card, and be able to run Ubuntu from a CD and SIMULTANEOUSLY keep Win Vista on my laptop. Is this possible?

If it is difficult for someone new to Ubuntu-- Should I just fully install Ubuntu to where I am prompted to either choose Win Vista or Ubuntu when I boot?

AND IF SO... Should I wait for an updated version from Ubuntu that will support my driver along with other features OR should I download something that would 'decode' the driver so that it can be used with both OS's and keep my current version?

Just Joined!

Dell 1390 mini-pci

Hi Eric,

I have a new HP dv6000 with the same processor your Dell has. I am also burdened with the Dell 1390 WLAN card, which has the infamous Broadcom 4311 chip set. I tried various distros, e.g., PClinuxOS-2007; DSL; Puppy-NOP; Sabayon; 64 Studio; Kubuntu. You get the idea.

Anyway, after flopping around for three weeks, trying everything I could find in the various forums I worked my up to Mepis. I downloaded SimplyMepis-CD_6.5.02-32.iso. The 32 bit version. It was like magic! Mepis loaded the ndiswrapper and all I had to do was push in my specific numbers: IP addr, gateway, etc. And that was the liveCD. I was so happy I did an immediate hdd install and am now up on my wireless LAN.

So, until the version of Ubuntu comes along with the Broadcom fix, Mepis will at least get you where you want to go. Heck, you might just decide to stick with Mepis

Be advised, however, that GParted will not work with, the rather twitchy, Vista (which is the 32 bit version anyway). Vista contains its own partitioner and won't let you hurt the install, so use it to make room on the hard drive if you are intent on keeping Vista.

Never give up...
    Ron