Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have some knowledge of linux - but I'm certainly no genious as my troubles have proved to me. I have tried every which way I can to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fc4 wireless connection problems

Hi guys,

I have some knowledge of linux - but I'm certainly no genious as my troubles have proved to me. I have tried every which way I can to install my wireless card and I cannot make it work.

I'm on fc4 gnome desktop with Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)

I have attempted to install wirelessassistant with an rpm, but it failed, I have tried to install gwireles, it insists I am missing a gnome-keyring-1 package, which I have subsequently failed to install. I have also tried to install an ndiswrapper, first off I am not sure if it installed properly and secondly I cannot seem to get hold of .inf and .sys files for my wireless, which I have at least found out is compatable with Linux.

Is there any help anyone could lend to me? Do you need more info from me too?

Thanks all,

Here you can find the firmware needed for your device and instructions on how to install. I would suggest though upgrading to the latest version of Fedora, FC4 is outdated.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the assistance. I'm on my work laptop and so don't like to go changing major things like the version of the OS - the IT guy will kill me if I bugger it all up and if something goes wrong my work will be in shambles for more time than I can afford so I'm going to soldier on with FC4 for the next 12 months.

I have made some headway I think, I can get:
    modprobe ipw2200

FATAL: Error inserting ipw2200 (/lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1656_FC4/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ipw2200.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg | grep ipw

ipw2200: disagrees about version of symbol ieee80211_wx_set_encode
    ipw2200: Unknown symbol ieee80211_wx_set_encode
    ipw2200: disagrees about version of symbol ieee80211_wx_get_encode
    ipw2200: Unknown symbol ieee80211_wx_get_encode
    ipw2200: disagrees about version of symbol ieee80211_txb_free
    ipw2200: Unknown symbol ieee80211_txb_free
    ipw2200: disagrees about version of symbol ieee80211_wx_get_scan
    ipw2200: Unknown symbol ieee80211_wx_get_scan
    ipw2200: disagrees about version of symbol ieee80211_rx
    ipw2200: Unknown symbol ieee80211_rx

this continues for all files, but I didn't want to cluter up the thread showing them all. I hadf thought I had got ieee80211 working, but the above suggests otherwise

I've tried following the instructions in the page you put me on to, but it gets a little fundamental (if that's the right word) for my Linux understanding. I got lost and confused.

Are there any further suggestrions? Or am I a lost cause?
    Thanks