here's my setup: (i apologize, as it is a bit of a messy hack job, but it's my only option right now)

3 boxes: 2 pure windows, 1 winxp/kubuntu (i believe it's the latest release)

the one pure windows xp is set up as a router/hub/w/e you want to call it and it connects to the outside world (e.g., the internet) as well as connecting all the other boxes together. it connects to the other pure windows box through a wired connection and to the dual boot through wireless.
(for anyone familiar with xp and wants more details:
it's configured as the gateway with ICS, so of course, its ip is static (192.168.0.1) and the wired lan connection is bridged with the wireless connection. i should also mention that the wireless is completely unsecured, no wep, wpa, or anything, since i'm trying to keep as few points of failure as possible while i'm initially configuring it all)

currently, i can access the network, internet, shared resources, etc, on the pure windows wired box fine and also on the dual boot, but only when i'm in windows xp.

i did have some trouble getting the xp box to access the network in the beginning, i think this had something to do with the wireless being ad-hoc and such but after assigning it a static ip and disabling dhcp (192.168.0.2) and telling it its gateway (192.168.0.1 (of course)) and subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and all that jazz, it all works fine.

so here's where my main problem comes in, when i boot into kubuntu (now, bare with me please, as i am a severe n00b and i'm really trying to learn nix better) i can no longer access the network, that is not just the internet or shared files, but i cannot even ping 192.168.0.1... so, the first thing i tried to do was go into the network settings and set everything up as i had it in xp, by assigning its static ip, gateways, subnets for wlan0, but no luck. i have been searching around the net looking for answers (which can get a bit frustrating, by the way, when you have to reboot just to try something out and back again to try and locate another solution if it doesn't work :S) and one thing i noticed was that when i execute the following:
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
i get this:
wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 02:0A:FC:79:03:30
ESSID:"HUB3"
Mode:Ad-Hoc
Channel:11
Frequency:2.462 GHz
Signal level=-60 dBm
Encryption key:off
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=0000000000630b8a
which is my network, but when i try to scan for networks in wlassistant, it says that none are found... i'm not sure if this is a driver issue and maybe i should try something like ndiswrapper? or if there is a way i can configure it to connect to the network purely by command line? or if there's something i'm missing here...etc.

oh, and i think i should also mention my output when i do something like this:
$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Device or resource busy.
which only seems to occur when i try and change the mode or commit, i have no idea whether this is normal or not, but thought i should include it just incase...
ok, it's very late, so i hope i haven't left too much vital information out, i've been working on this for awhile though, so all help/suggestions are very much appreciated