Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Okay! So I need to kill that or something? :S Thanks a lot for helping me out!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Okay! So I need to kill that or something? :S

Thanks a lot for helping me out!

Linux Guru
    I think that you need to unload that module first
    Code:
    # modprobe -r rt61pci
    You should then download and install the latest driver version. Here's a link to the English page.
    Ralink Technology: Linux
    Or get it this way:
    Code:
    # wget http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/IS_Linux_STA_6x_D_1.1.1.0.tar.gz
    Go to the folder where you downloaded it and unpack it:
    Code:
    # tar xvfz IS_Linux_STA_6x_D_1.1.1.0.tar.gz
    Now go to the Module folder and compile the driver
    Code:
    # cd IS_Linux_STA_6x_D_1.1.1.0/Module
    # cp Makefile.6 Makefile
    # make
    This worked for me, but some say that you should use this:
    Code:
    # make all
    Now, to install the driver. First make a directory for it and then copy the binary files to it.Use the wildcard * to get all the files at once.
    Code:
    # mkdir -p /etc/Wireless/RT61STA/
    # cp *.bin /etc/Wireless/RT61STA/
    This is where the two guides differ. There is also a README file in the driver folder with instructions, so I'll use that.
    Code:
    # dos2unix rt61sta.dat
    Then copy the configuration file to the folder.
    Code:
    # cp rt61sta.dat /etc/Wireless/RT61STA/
    Now the How-to's differ from the README. The How-To's say to copy the kernel module to the kernel directory.
    Code:
    # cp rt61.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/
    or
    # cp rt61.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    Check to see if you have the wireless folder. I do, and using that command worked for me. The README says to do something completely different. I tried the "load" command, and it didn't work.
    Code:
    # $load $/sbin/insmod rt61.ko
    # $load $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up
    Now enter this.
    Code:
    # depmod
    # modprobe rt61
    I now have this module loaded. Except that I don't even have this card.
    Follow the setup instructions, use whichever version you want.

Please report back on what works for you. Share the knowledge!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Thanks again Paul,

The problem I am dealing is, is that I did all above under my old Kernel, which is still running fine.

The new Kernel however, installed the RT automatically and therefore I now have "two cards" called ra0 and wlan0. ra0 works under the old Kernel (and is only seen by the old Kernel), wlan0 is only seen by the new Kernel, but doesn't seem to work.

So the problem is not so much the driver for the card, but the conflict between wlan0 and ra0, which are both looking for the same card...

So I think that I need to remove all old drivers and things (so completely remove ra0) and then let the new kernel takeover, however, I do not really know how to do this...

Timo

Linux Guru
    When you update the kernel, any driver modules that you installed have to be re-installed.

The first line of my last post was to remove the newer module.
    Code:
    modprobe -r rt61pci
    You then can proceed to install the working driver. Since the non-working driver will again be loaded after a reboot, we will have to prevent that. I was going to get to that, after you got the card working again.

Look for the folder /etc/modprobe.d, it also can be called /etc/modules.d. This should contain files on the modules that are loaded. There should be one for the rt61pci module and another called "blacklist". The rt61pci file most likely has a line like this:
    Code:
    alis wlan0 rt61pci
    This is giving you the wlan0 entry. You would remove that file, and add rt61pci to the bottom of the blacklist file.
    Code:
    blacklist rt61pci
    You then need to add a file to load the rt61 module. You may be able to just modify the rt61pci file to load the regular rt61 module.

I know that I gave you more info than you asked for. This has been a learning process for me too, and that is why I enjoy helping out.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Okay.... here is what I did:

- I got rt61pci out of the modprobe.
    - I changed my modprobe.conf by adding blacklist rt61pci.
    - I tried to install the driver for the new kernel, but when I tried insmod, it could not load rt61 (file failed something...).

Still not working..

If I run my old kernel, I can see modprobe rt61.

Do I need to try and remove that one as well maybe?

Thanks again for your help!

Timo

Just Joined!
    Sorry couldn't wait

Tried a few more things....

rt61 was actually in the modprobe of the old Kernel, so I removed that one as well.

Went back into the new kernel and typed iwconfig, nothing much:

Try to insmod the new rt61, refused again. Insert the old rt61pci again.

Iwconfig (new kernel):

[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

ra0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"NETGEAR"
    Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
    Tx-Power=0 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption key:off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

No Internet connection running so far, but getting close?

NETGEAR is indeed the name of the network I am trying to logon, it is an open network, so I don't need any keys.

Now what?

Linux Guru
    Did you rebuild the driver using the latest version?

You have to forget that the old kernel ever existed. What you did on the old one has no effect on the new one. You could completely delete the old kernel and the computer would still boot up in the newer kernel.

Also, I don't recall you ever saying which distro you are using. When it comes to the modules, the files and folder can be different.

You mentioned modifying the modprobe.conf file. In newer distros, that is not the file to change. There should be a blacklist file just for this purpose. It should be in the /etc/modprobe.d/ folder, along with other modprobe configuration files.

After installing the module, load it with the modprobe rt61 command instead of the insmod command. See if that makes any difference.

Just Joined!
    Fedora 7

Kernel old: 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
    Kernel new: 2.6.22.9-91.fc7

I did the following:

Remove rt61pci, try to install a new rt61 driver however, I couldn't make the rt61 for some reason (couldn't compute the rt61.ko file). I tried to load the old rt61 file, didn't work.

Any idea?

Timo

Linux Guru
    Hmmmm....

Do you have the kernel sources installed for the newer kernel?

To run make with debugging, use this:
    Code:
    # make -d
    Post the output.

You may want to try following the instructions in the README file more closely. It recommends using this:
    Code:
    # make all

Linux Guru
    There is a configuration program in the Module folder that you can run. It will ask for the correct location of the source files and the kernel module folder. The default was incorrect for my distro, so maybe run that before trying again:
    Code:
    # ./Configure

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast