Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Making the driver gave the following error:

WARNING: “pci_module_init” [/root/IS_Linux)STA_6x_D_1.1.1.0/Modue/rt61.ko] undefined!

So I cannot build a correct rt61.ko ...:S

This appears to be an error caused by a change in the kernel. I take it that you are using a newer kernel. I am using 2.6.18.8-0.5, so I'm guessing that the problem started with 2.6.20 and newer.

A newer driver is suggested, but I think that you have the latest. The other option is to change the driver so that it will work. I found this post on that:
    Modprobe, Loading module problem - LinuxQuestions.org
    Which says;
    If you have the driver source find where in code pci_module_init is called and replace it with pci_register_driver without changing the parameters (things in brackets). Recompile+reinstall the driver and then try to modprobe it.
    I don't know which driver file that would be in. I will poke around a bit and see if I can find it. You can do that also.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

I think that I found it, at least in one file.

It is in the rtmp_main.c file.
    Code:
    change this:
    static INT __init rt61_init_module(VOID)
    {
        return pci_module_init(&rt61_driver);
    }
    To this:
    static INT __init rt61_init_module(VOID)
    {
        return pci_register_driver(&rt61_driver);
    }
    It may also exist in other files, I looked in many of them, but not all.

You would then need to re-compile the driver. First do this:
    Code:
    # make clean
    Then this
    Code:
    #  make all -d
    I hope that this solves the problem.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Another option is to compile the driver from the latest CVS source:
    Code:
    wget http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/rt2x00-cvs-daily.tar.gz
    There is a detailed README file explaining the installation procedures. It looks like you also need to load firmware for your card to work.

Here is the web site for the driver:
    Main Page - Rt2x00Wiki

Good Luck!

I also recommend you check out the forums for this driver, especially the section for the rt61 driver. I see some things in the stickies that may apply to you.

rt2x00.serialmonkey.com :: Index

Check out this post in the rt2x00 forum. It is in regard to using the rt61 in Fedora 7. We may have been barking up the wrong tree!

rt2x00.serialmonkey.com :: View topic - rt61 on Fedora 7

That did the trick!!!

Thanks a lot Paul!, writing you from my new Kernel. I will now uninstall my old Kernel and clean all the mess I made

I still don't know why they made Wireless connections so difficult, but at least its working for me now

Thanks again,

Timo

Sorry, one more question

I can only get my wireless connection running when I type:
    ifconfig ra0 up
    dhclient ra0 -d &

If I use Network Manager (from Fedora), then it says: Determining IP Information for ra0.......failed; check cable?

Any idea on how to make sure that my connection is working at boot?

Timo

Which solution did you use, seeing as I provided three of them.

As far as starting up at boot. You can load modules at boot by having a config file for it in the /etc/modprobe.d/ folder.

The instructions to auto-load the driver are in the README file, at the very bottom. If you need DHCP you may need to re-compile again! Oh well, you are now an old hand at this.
    If you want for rt61 driver to auto-load at boot time:
    A) choose ra0 for first RT61 WLAN card, ra1 for second RT61 WLAN card, etc.

B) go to "./RT61_Linux_STA_Drv_x.x.x.x/Module" directory.
    $make install

NOTE:
    if you use dhcp,
    add this line
    BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
    in the file ifcfg-ra0 .

*C) To ease the Default Gateway setting,
    add the line
    GATEWAY=x.x.x.x
    in /etc/sysconfig/network

Thanks a lot, I'll try to fix that as well then!

The only thing I did was change the line in the .c file form the driver. Everything went smoothly afterwards

Thanks again, really appreciate your help,, I crashed my Linux three times over this (before I mean).

Timo