Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Well 7.10 ubuntu has better wireless support, better apps and is easier to use for n00bs like me, plus i found some articles saying that it is a better system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Well 7.10 ubuntu has better wireless support, better apps and is easier to use for n00bs like me, plus i found some articles saying that it is a better system to use when getting to grips with linux, im going to try it out atleast and see if i preffer it. Ill get back to you on how it is later.

Just Joined!
    OK UPDATE....

ndiswrapper, wine etc. all installed fine on ubuntu however..

Were it says rename the files in lowercase and move then into that folder, i can rename them but i dont have permissions to drag them into the folder? Is there any other way of doing this?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Congrats for making it this far!

As far as copying files to a system folder, you need to be root to do this. The way most Linux people do it is with the cp command. For more on this enter this.
    Code:
    > cp --help
    or
    > man cp
    (enter q to exit man)
    It seems simple enough, but I can never get the syntax right! So what I do is to start the file manager from the terminal (as root). I think Ubuntu uses Nautilus, so you would enter this.
    Code:
    > sudo nautilus
    Enter your password and a Nautilus window will open up. You should now be able to copy and then rename the files.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Ok, now im going to follow the earlier posted tutorial, and tell you how far i get.

Linux Guru
    First, I'm trying to watch the Green Bay Packer game, so this is distracting me from the game.

I just tried the cp command, and it worked for me! I was even able to change the name. I cd to the folder that the file is in then enter this.
    Code:
    > sudo cp RNDISMPK.sys /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmrndis/rndismpk.sys
    Do this for each file.

GO PACK GO!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help, my Wireless works perfect now (well as perfect as wireless can be) if i get a new laptop i might even put linux on that

Linux Guru
    There was more info listed at the NDISwrapper card link that I gave earlier. It refers to the USR5421, which i on the last page of the supported card list HERE

It says this:
    Other: With 2.6.16 and later kernels, RNDIS devices are not initialized (when device is plugged in, nothing happens). To get it going, you need to set the variable bConfigurationValue in sysfs. An easy way to do this is to add

BUS==”usb”, SYSFS{idProduct}==”001b”, SYSFS{idVendor}==”0baf”, \
    PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'echo 1 > /sys/%p/device/bConfigurationValue'" to /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_local_rules file and restart udev.
    Replace idProduct and idVendor as appropriate; for USR5421, ‘lsusb’ shows 001b (idProduct) and 0baf (idVendor).
    I'm not sure I understand what it is saying to do. Maybe you can make some sense of it.

EDIT: I understand that it is asking you to edit a file. I don't have the local_rules file, I hope you do.

Linux Guru
    Good to hear!

I guess that you didn't need to do any of that stuff in my last post.

Now you can help others!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3