Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm on a Dell Inspiron 5100 with xubuntu, I am using a Dell wireless 1350 card. I have the driver installed and it is recognized, the lights flash to show ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't configure wireless card

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 5100 with xubuntu, I am using a Dell wireless 1350 card. I have the driver installed and it is recognized, the lights flash to show the card is interacting with the wireless signal, but when I use Knetworkmanager to try and enable the connection, it just gets stuck at configuring device.

To install I had troubles with the native driver on xubuntu, knowing I had a driver that would work for sure, I just deleted it and installed the one I had. I did have minimal success at one point, but then it just stopped working. Sorry I do not know what was changed now that it is not working.

DJ

Linux Guru
    When you say that you have the driver installed, what driver would that be? I use a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop with a 1350 wireless, but they could put that name on anything.

To determine the chipset of the card, enter this as root, and post the results.
    Code:
    # lspci
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

I got the driver from the ndiswrapper site

Linux Guru
    That is exactly what I have on my Dell laptop.

There is a "native" Linux driver that automatically loads, called bcm43xx. It could be conflicting with NDISwrapper. You can check to see if it is loaded with this.
    Code:
    # lsmod
    And remove it with this.
    Code:
    # modprobe -r bcm43xx
    You may need to remove and reload the NDISwrapper module after this.
    Code:
    # modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    # modprobe ndiswrapper
    If this was the problem, you need to prevent the bcm43xx module from loading. There should be a file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. Add this to the bottom of the file.
    Code:
    blacklist bcm43xx
    There also is a newer version of the driver named b43. I don't know if it is included in any distros yet, but be aware of it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I have already done such things, and bcm43xx is on the blacklist. Like I said the card did work for several minutes, but then I must have changed something in the configuration because now it doesn't. Sorry to be ignorant of what I have done, but what are some things I should look at when trying to configure the device. Mind you the driver is not a problem.

Linux Guru
    Can you use any of the terminal commands? Try these out:

# sudo ifconfig
    # sudo iwconfig wlan0 (unless it is eth1 or something else)
    # sudo ifup wlan0
    # sudo ifup-dhcp wlan0

There is also ifstatus ifstatus-dhcp ifprobe ifrenew ifrenew-dhcp. You may need to specify the folder when using these commands:
    # sudo /sbin/ifconfig

Some of my commands are located in the /usr/sbin/ folder. I don't know where they are in xubuntu, so a search should find them.

You may need to disable the NetworkManager to use these commands.

Just Joined!
    Using the program wifi radar I somehow forced the card to ask for an ip address or something. so now my browser works fine, but Gaim doesn't connect, and ideas?

Linux Guru
    Try disabling the firewall, if it's enabled.

Just Joined!
    Unless ubuntu has one running the background, I'm almost positive it doesn't, there isn't one running.

Linux Guru
    Most distros will enable a firewall by default.