Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hmmm... I can't seem to find my compiling notes. That's what I get for cleaning things up. There are instructions along with the source code. There is a README file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Hmmm... I can't seem to find my compiling notes. That's what I get for cleaning things up.

There are instructions along with the source code. There is a README file in the top directory. I think that I followed that fairly closely.

First, save any important files that you just can't live without. Kernel compiling and installation can go horribly wrong, and make your installation unbootable. Also the best way to configure the kernel, is to use a kernel that is already configured. What I mean is this. If you have the original kernel source still installed, go to that directory and look at that configuration. If it has what you need enabled, save the configuration file, and use it on the new sources.

Still, it is best to install kernels from the distro's repository. The driver that you need should be compiled by default. If not, you will have to compile or use a different distro.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    OK, I found my notes. Actually they are scribblings in the margins of the README file.

I have only compiled Fedora/CentOS/Suse kernels. Gentoo may be different. If the sources have been compiled before, start with this:

make clean
    make all
    make modules_install
    make install

You may need to follow the steps on copying the kernel image. I have this written down:

make bzimage (may not be needed)
    mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img

If you use grub, edit the /boot/grub.menu.lst. Edit the default value to 0 to boot the new kernel.

Then reboot:

# shutdown -r now

I know it may seem that I'm not too sure of the process, because I'm not. But I have done several compiles, and all were successful. The only time I had a problem was when I followed the Suse method, and it removes the old kernel. This is bad if your compile goes bad (it didn't).
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    A quick search on compiling a Gentoo kernel came up with some good sites. You may want to follow them for a successful compile.

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Configuring the Kernel
    HOWTO Compile a Kernel Manually - Gentoo Linux Wiki

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    this post is wireless!

i "muddled" though the compilation of the module. i thank you for your help sir. i have a little better understanding of how drivers work in linux. i really do appreciate your time. now on to kismet!

Linux Guru
    So, you didn't have to do a full kernel compile? That would be good to know for future reference.

Linux is for people who like to learn new things. Those who don't use windows.

Just Joined!
    see now this is where the "muddled" part comes in. I did a full complie but i am not using the bzImage it created. i think the image is actually the same as the one i originally complied with genkernel. the only difference is i compiled the aironet driver as a module.

i tried to boot the new bzImage with airo in my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel2.6 file. it failed to load the module.
    I looked for some kernel complie help on the web. i did a make modules-install (i think). I then rebooted with the "new" kernel and it loaded the airo module.
    to satisfy my own curiosity i rebooted with my original kernel and it loaded the module just fine.

my struggle now is trying to get WPA to work as i think wpa_supplicant doesnt work with my card. it wont associate. and i cant figure out how to use iwpriv as of right now. so i can connect to my router as long as i have all my security disabled yay! :P once again i want to thank you for your time i have had a lot of fun learning new things

Linux Guru
    In searching for info on your card, I came across mention of WPA for your card. The Cisco site mentions using the Cisco Wireless Security Suite and the Cisco Aironet 350 Series Client Adapter.

I think that you can download those from this site, but you need to register first.
    Wireless

I don't know how old those downloads are. They may be for the old 2.4 kernel, you'll have to check and see.

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    yeah i have the aironet client utility tools. it has a few dependencies i was missing so i didnt bother with it.i dont really like the software. I was thinking i should be able to do it with iwconfig and iwpriv but i cant seem to find out what command airoioctl accepts. i have updated the firmware to support WPA so once i figure out what commands it accepts from iwpriv i should be able to do it there. i found some post somewhere about people having trouble using wpa_supplicant with the airo driver. they were having the same issue with it not associating. so i am pretty sure that isnt an option.

Just Joined!
    release date on cisco aironet client util is 2005

Linux Client Utilities and Driver. PCM, LMC, PCI, and MPI Client Adapters. Supports Radio Firmware up to and including 5.30.17. Supports Linux Kernel 2.4.18 and 2.4.20-28.

looks like i am not alone
    WPA and ndiswrapper Issues with Cisco Aironet 350 - LinuxQuestions.org

old card time to upgrade i guess

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2