Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a gateway MT3705, a fresh install of Ubuntu 7.10 and my wireless was auto detected! (first time ever very exciting for me) I live in collage dorms, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless help

I have a gateway MT3705, a fresh install of Ubuntu 7.10 and my wireless was auto detected! (first time ever very exciting for me) I live in collage dorms, so many wireless networks are there, i can connect to the un secured ones no problem. However I own a netgear wireless AP, and i have WPA security on it, when i type in the password and hit connect, the numlock and home led flash togather in rythem, and i never get connected. Is this a problem with the driver? or is it just a limitation of ubuntu linux that wpa is not supported?

Just Joined!
    Wow that sounds very weird, your NUMLOCK led is flashing because of something you type into a password field? Also what do you mean by your HOME led?
    Usually their is only one LED concerned with wireless network adapters and those are usually right by the monitor and or screen on the laptop....

Anyways this page should pretty much run you through the process of getting WPA to work on your Ubuntu machine.
    The Open Source Advocate: WPA wireless "just works" in Ubuntu 7.04

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by edclancy7715 View Post
    Wow that sounds very weird, your NUMLOCK led is flashing because of something you type into a password field? Also what do you mean by your HOME led?
    Usually their is only one LED concerned with wireless network adapters and those are usually right by the monitor and or screen on the laptop....
    Thanks for the reply,
    when i type in a password then hit enter the numlock and the 'home' (i have no idea what this is its a picture of a house that has an led behind it and is in the same row as my hdd light etc.) lights flash togather about once every second. Its more just a rythmic flash not an activity flash if that makes any since. Oh and the wireless light is on constant as it should be, i can connect to non secure networks fine, its just the wpa i cant. I will give that guide a shot thanks again!

Just Joined!
    I took a look at the link you sent, and that was just how to configure it if you have wpa, when i click on my wireless icon, and then try to connect to a wpa network the only options that are listed are wep options. I read somewhere that i have to dowload some wpa packets or something but i have no clue what they are talking about. I also tried using a differant network connection manager, however everytime i tryed to install it i got an error message saying that the software had a conflict with the existing network connection manager.... I then even tried to un-install the existing network connection manager and still got the same error?

I'm not too sure what's been changing recently, but I suspect you're going to want to use ndiswrapper and the native drivers instead of Ubuntu's auto-detect feature. Other than that, network manager is suppose to offer some kind of WEP/WPA feature. If it doesn't, you'll need stuff such as wpa_supplicant.

I suspect you're going to be reading a few articles and spending a few hours, or maybe a week, getting this thing to work if you do it by yourself. It's possible to get this to work, though. It takes time.

Then again, I've read articles where some devices connect but their hardware and coding aren't well-suited to transfer packets between each other when using things such as ndiswrapper. That's a whole different level, though, and it doesn't happen too often.