Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I have this problem with ndiswrapper. I downloaded it and untarred it, but failed to do the make command. It prompts me: phobo@debian:~/dlf/ndiswrapper-1.49$ make make -C driver make[1]: Entering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

making link to kernel source

hello, I have this problem with ndiswrapper. I downloaded it and untarred it, but failed to do the make command. It prompts me:

phobo@debian:~/dlf/ndiswrapper-1.49$ make
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/phobo/dlf/ndiswrapper-1.49/driver'
    Makefile:35: *** Cannot find kernel version in /lib/modules/2.6.18-5-686/build, is it configured?. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/phobo/dlf/ndiswrapper-1.49/driver'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

and I have acknowledged from other webpages that I have to make a link to the kernel source from the /lib/modules/VERSION/build directory. How this is accomplished is not written because it should be standard on most distributions. Please help

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    What Linux distribution are you using? Do you have the kernel source (or kernel-devel) installed? If so, does it match the version of the kernel you are currently running?

Just Joined!
    I am running Debian. After thinking for a while I concluded that the kernel source I downloaded may not be working, but I think that my problem too in #1

Just Joined!
    I am running Debian. After thinking for a while I concluded that the kernel source I downloaded may not be working, but I think that my problem too in #1

debian:/home/phobo# uname -r
    2.6.18-5-686

You need to look in Synaptic (or using apt/aptitude) for the kernel-source version that matches the version of the kernel that you are running and select that for installation.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I searched the packages and I actually found some programs for ndiswrapper and therefore do no longer have any problems with that. Now my problem is that I need the driver files for my netcard, eh, forgive me, but how do I do that?

Just Joined!
    Okay, I have made some progression. I found the ndiswrapper files on my synaptics package manager and installed it therefrom. I also have downloaded the drivers for this computer but putting it all together still does not work. I follow this tutorial: http://www.linuxforums.org/network/w...and_linux.html and have followed it to the point in which i have to write "modprobe ndiswrapper", but then the computer prompts me with debian:/home/phobo/dlf/80211BG/Driver# modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

and I do not know what it wrong or what to do. My best guess is that the correct kernel source is not installed. I just made the assumption that it would be installed together with ndiswrapper but it might have been a bad guess. I have not yet been able to find any such thing as kernel source on synaptics. If anybody can tell me the name of the file I have to install through it I will be delighted. Though if anybody has a better idea of what is wrong I would like to hear it

If you installed ndiswrapper using the Debian packages, then there is no need for the kernel source. Did you reboot after installig ndiswrapper. I remember a while back that I had to reboot my system in order for ndiswrapper to work.

Just Joined!
    ndiswrapper works now.

I then installed the driver

ndiswrapper -i /link/driver.INF

which prompted me that I needed some .dll-file but installed the driver anyway
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    debian:/home/phobo# ndiswrapper -m
    modprobe config already contains alias directive

debian:/home/phobo# modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and now I am stuck...again