Find the answer to your Linux question:
Linux is really starting to irritate me, sorry guys, but it is. I installed Ubuntu, and my wireless card worked out of the box but I couldn't get it working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless card hell

Linux is really starting to irritate me, sorry guys, but it is.

I installed Ubuntu, and my wireless card worked out of the box but I couldn't get it working with my wired connection.

I installed Mandriva and I can't get it working with my wireless card, it gives me an error: "Your wireless card is disabled, please enable the wireless switch (RF kill switch) first."

My wired connection starts up just fine in Mandriva, but no websites load for me! wtf? I did everything I knew how to do with my settings, but nothing worked.

I would use Ubuntu, but it has way too many issues and I want to be happy overall with my distribution and not use a certain distribution because it's the only one that works with my wireless card.

So anyways, any idea how to get a Belkin wireless card setup on mandriva and any ideas why my wired connection isn't working properly in mandriva/ubuntu?

Both devices are PCI? From the command line as su, do:
    Code:
     /sbin/lspci | grep net
    and copy and post the results here please.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Dapper Dan, first of all I like your username. Reminds of of a George Clooney movie.

Secondly. since the time that I made that first post I uninstalled the Linux distribution that was giving me dharrhea and installed PCLinuxOS which has no problems with my wireless card.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm glad you got things going for you! Yes, I love that movie, and it's where I got my unsername. I've been using it on various boards ever since the movie came out.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 11-21-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I'm glad you got things going for you! Yes, I love that movie, and it's where I got my unsername. I've been using it on various boards ever since the movie came out.
    Pomade Vendor: I can get the part from Bristol. It'll take two weeks, here's your pomade.
    Ulysses Everett McGill: Two weeks? That don't do me no good.
    Pomade Vendor: Nearest Ford auto man's Bristol.
    Ulysses Everett McGill: Hold on, I don't want this pomade. I want Dapper Dan.
    Pomade Vendor: I don't carry Dapper Dan, I carry Fop.
    Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, I don't want Fop, ******* it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
    Pomade Vendor: Watch your language, young feller, this is a public market. Now if you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you, have it in a couple of weeks.
    Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!

Lol! Now you've got me wanting to watch it again! When my wife and I saw it in the theatre the first time, and when it got to the part where Delmar thought the three sirens had turned Pete into a toad but had left his heart, I laughed so long and hard, other theatre goers were turning around and glaring at me... lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Lol! Now you've got me wanting to watch it again! When my wife and I saw it in the theatre the first time, and when it got to the part where Delmar thought the three sirens had turned Pete into a toad but had left his heart, I laughed so long and hard, other theatre goers were turning around and glaring at me... lol!
    Haha, ya, and the part when they are in the car:

"Hey, I am just not sure if that toad there is Pete"
    "OF COURSE IT'S PETE, LOOK AT HIM!!"

hahahahaha

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm not a huge Clooney fan, but that movie really was different, lots of fun, and very entertaining, and he was good in it. The DVD was certainly worth the purchase.
    oz