Find the answer to your Linux question:
is there any way to get a wireless card into monitor mode with ndiswrapper? Thanks all...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ndiswrapper with monitor mode

is there any way to get a wireless card into monitor mode with ndiswrapper? Thanks all

Bad News!

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    is there any way to get a wireless card into monitor mode with ndiswrapper? Thanks all
    Sorry jmadero, It appears that is not possible with NDIS wrapper. This is from the FAQS. I believe Atheros chipsets do support other modes, but I'm not positive about that.
    NDISwrapper
    Is master mode or promiscuous mode supported?

No! NDIS doesn’t support Master/Repeater/Monitor modes. The only modes supported are Ad-Hoc and Managed. Note that some drivers may support features that are not in NDIS e.g., showing signal noise and possibly Master mode, but they are proprietary and no documentation available for them, so such features won’t be supported by ndiswrapper.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

ndiswrapper vs. linux native drivers?

I have been reading up quite a bit in the past few hours and have read basically the same thing, ndiswrapper never supports monitor mode. I had another question...until now I had always thought ndiswrapper was the only way to get wireless to work but I keep reading about native linux drivers. How are these installed? What is the benefit of using ndiswrapper? With the native drivers I have read that my chipset (Dell 1390 based on broadcom chipset) will allow monitor mode. I have also read that you can have both installed and switch between one or the other (and that there are benefits to this).....my question is....does anyone know where there is a straight forward guide to do this? I haven't found anything beyond general commentary on that it's possible. Thanks all

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close