Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently installed suselinux 9.3 and I cannot get wireless internet to work. I am downloading suse 10.3 iso (through windows) right now because it supports more wireless cards. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

wireless internet

Hi, I recently installed suselinux 9.3 and I cannot get wireless internet to work. I am downloading suse 10.3 iso (through windows) right now because it supports more wireless cards. I have a BCM4401 100 Base T card, and my computer is a Dell inspiron 8600. I have tried commanding it to run kinternet, but it says, "connection to local and remote server refused. Maybe smpppd is not running or maybe you are not a member of "dial out" Also, check your server settings in the dialog 'server settings' " Any help will be appreciated.

Dell truemobile 1400 driver

I have a Dell Truemobile 1400 and I was wondering where(or if) I can get the driver for Linux. Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, JTB7!

I don't do any wireless so can't offer any specific advice, but I'm pretty sure you'll need ndiswrapper to get that card to work.

We have this Wireless LAN HowTo that might help you to get it going, and here's an openSUSE 10.2 HowTo that you might be able to use by adjusting it for your own particular distro.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Linux Guru
    The wireless part of Linux was not very advanced when Suse 9.3 was first out. Please install a current version of Linux, like openSUSE 10.3
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums, JTB7!

I don't do any wireless so can't offer any specific advice, but I'm pretty sure you'll need ndiswrapper to get that card to work.

We have this Wireless LAN HowTo that might help you to get it going, and here's an openSUSE 10.2 HowTo that you might be able to use by adjusting it for your own particular distro.

Let us know how it goes.
    I updated to 10.3, and it detects my card, but still doesnt work I tried following with his tutorial, but I have the unzipped driver on my desktop, an empty /lib/windrivers directory and later he says that the inf would be in /lib/windrivers/AR. However, when I try to put the extracted driver into /lib/windrivers, it doesn't allow me.

EDIT: I got ndiswrapper to install the driver, following the first tutorial this time. However, it still doesn't work. I get a device code present, so I know the driver supports the card, and I tryped modprobe ndiswrapper and there were no errors. However, I use knetworkmanager and there are no networks in range, when I know there is a network in range because windows detects it all the time at 54 mps.

Linux Guru
    I don't know if this is the problem, but I wouldn't put the driver in the /lib directory. Just put them in a folder in your home directory. And make sure that all users have read/write permissions:
    Code:
    # chmod /your/file/here 770
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I don't know if this is the problem, but I wouldn't put the driver in the /lib directory. Just put them in a folder in your home directory. And make sure that all users have read/write permissions:
    Code:
    # chmod /your/file/here 770
    I got it working. I seem to not have permission to move files/delete files even in my home directory. "Access denied." How do I fix this?