Find the answer to your Linux question:
I run ubunto on my Dell 3600C desktop and i recently moved into a house that has comcast wireless internet. i have no idea even where to begin because I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Comcast wireless and Ubunto

I run ubunto on my Dell 3600C desktop and i recently moved into a house that has comcast wireless internet. i have no idea even where to begin because I used to have an ethernet connection at my old house. I opened the networking systems and the help guide, but only a dial-up and DSL connection were available to look at or try and connect to..
    my roommates are no help, they all have laptops and none with linux, they just gave me the telephone number for our wireless connection...
    where do I begin?
    or is there no beginning?
    thanks!

You need to configure your wireless card.
    Post the output of

sudo lspci

And we should be able to help you with this.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    thanks! okay but I have more questions:
    what kind of wireless card would you suggest I buy, specifically?
    and what do you mean use the outpost?
    thanks
    I'll probably just go buy a wireless card at Best Buy tonight, but then I don't know what to do with it..I'm pretty new to Linux too, my friend put it on my computer because I had Windows and it kept getting viruses, and I like it, but don't know how to use it very well.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You may want to stop at a bookstore and get a book on how to use Linux. I bought The Red Hat Fedora Linux 2 Bible when I first started. I still refer to it for things that I don't do very often.

Try to get a book that is about the Linux distro that you are using.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Look in the menus for "terminal" or "console".
    Open that up and type
    Code:
    sudo lspci
    copy and paste the output of that command in a post here.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    okay here's the info on my wireless card:
    Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adaptor
    MAC address: 0016B696B70B

here's the output from the terminal:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHC1 Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 Communication controller: Conexant Unknown device 2702 (rev 01)
    01:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BMC4401 200Base-T (rev 01)

whatever steps I need to take after this, I need help with because I have no idea what I'm doing.. also, my applications tab isn't currently opening, so I have had to look up all my programs through my user system files, and it's super annoying.. I don't even care about that though, I really just want to get online.

thank you so much for your help. you are a linux god.

Try this page.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ