Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Gutsy on my girlfriend's computer and was surprised that wireless card was recognized and the wireless networks show up. The issue is that it will not connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu Gutsy

I just installed Gutsy on my girlfriend's computer and was surprised that wireless card was recognized and the wireless networks show up. The issue is that it will not connect to the router, I have tried about 5 times, restarted my router, etc... I have a WEP key and two other Gutsy machines working on it. My computer had to use Ndiswrapper so I don't know much about native linux drivers, my roomates worked out of the box on Gutsy. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know if this will make a difference, but I'd recommend against using WEP encryption these days. I'd go with something a little beefier like WPA (either AES or TKIP). I'm able to connect to WPA routers with Ubuntu, with and without NDISWrapper.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    First. you need to know the make of the wireless chipset. Enter this in a terminal and post the output.
    Code:
    # lspci
    Some cards have a "native" Linux driver that automatically loads. Also, some cards will still need firmware loaded before they will work properly, even though the distro "sees" and can identify the wireless.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

update

So we have done some further diagnostic and there are a couple issues that are strange:

1. Wireless works perfectly with no key
    2. Wireless works perfectly with WPA key
    3. Still will not work with WEP key (directly copy pasting it out of the routers setup page so I know it's the right key)

Unfortunately my roomate's XP Home computer won't connect to WPA and he doesn't want the other roomates messing around with it (basically he is satisfied that it works for him). Any help would be greatly appreciated as she really doesn't use Ubuntu at my apartment because wireless won't work (I'm trying to ween her off of Vista )