Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've tried all the distros (obviously it's the network manager i think) and i have the following probs: 1)I have 3-4 open wireless nets in my neighbour from friends ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

almost desperate with wireless

Hello,

I've tried all the distros (obviously it's the network manager i think) and i have the following probs:

1)I have 3-4 open wireless nets in my neighbour from friends etc and one of them is pretty neat. I can connect to it from windows but when I try from the network manager I get two things:
    first of all it needs to try to connect 5-6 times in order to achieve the connection and when it does, i have normal internet from terminal (ping lynx etc) but not from browsers or gnome in general. If i ping the address first from the terminal, I can see the address from mozilla too. Isn't this weird?
    Also from the router i can see me in the dhcp clients but not with a valid hostname. But i have specifically set a hostname from admin->network devices in gnome.
    I have a valid ip address according to the ifconfig and iwconfig looks normal too.
    2)I would also like to know how can i ban a network so that network mnager won't connect to it automatically?

Any ideas???

thanks in advance

Hi drq123 and welcome. Which distro are you now using? What is the make and model of the wireless card? What is the name of the network you are trying to connect to? Is it a usb device or pci? Please post the output of iwconfig and ifconfig.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I have an atheros based card which i use with madwifi. I use fedora 8 but is is all the same with ubuntu too. It is a pci card in a laptop. The wireless name of the network is G664T_WIRELESS.
    I can't paste easily the output cause I'm now from another pc with windows.

How on earth can I ping the sites and not able to see them from mozilla or any other graphical program.

thanks, aris

I'm running Atheros with madwifi right now in Crux so I guess your's has got to work. Since I can't see your ifconfig or your iwconfig I'm kind of flying in the dark but a few things to check (if you haven't already...) See if ipv6 in turned on in:
    Code:
    system-config-network
    turn it off to see if there is a difference. Also, If you cannot get the ap's essid to "take" maybe try inputting it from the command line as su:
    Code:
    /sbin/iwconfig ath0 essid G664T_WIRELESS
    Check under the DNS tab to see if the ip there is pointing back to the router's, or if the ISP's two DNS entries are present. If you are allowed to do this, try setting it up with a static ip and see if that makes a difference. Just a few things to try...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here