Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

After installing NDISwrapper, you still need to install the WInXP driver. Download the file from your PC maker's driver downloads. Copy it to your Linux partition and install it following the instructions on the NDISwrapper web site. I can't give you better instructions than what is already written.

NDISwrapper
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

hey

ok, it seems a lot clearer than the readme, but it will work on my sony vaio? it had vista premium preloaded and idno if sony has it for vaio but i will check. edit: i can't find any so i think i just wasted your time =(

If you look in the Supported Cards list you may find a link to a working WinXP driver for your wifi.

NDISwrapper working cards list
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

You will have to try it and see. Don't be too discouraged if it won't work, you'll just need to look for a different WinXP driver.

I found a driver here:
    ATHEROS Wireless LAN 2.4/5GHz - Download Driver AR5006EG

It may be the same one that you found.

erm, i guess i kind of just wasted your time but thanks for your help and i was going to try another linux system that you don't have to deal with all of this work, but there probably isn't another linux os. i tried ubuntu but it didn't work either. edit:i downloaded it, but im unsure what to do with the files, theres a system file(ar5211.sys,net5211.cat, and net5211.inf)

Don't give up so quickly!

You install it by entering this command (as root).
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i net5211.inf
    You may need to enter the exact location of the file, like /home/randomp/ar5006EG/net5211.inf

Then enter these commands (as root).
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -m
    ndiswrapper -ma
    ndiswrapper -mi
    Make sure that you remove the other Linux driver (as root).
    Code:
    modprobe -r ath_pci
    Now install the NDISwrapper module.
    Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    Now check to see if it is installed correctly
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l

Smile hey

alright im kind of tired because i have to get up for school, and i might have another delay cuz of wind chill, but if i don't i will have to talk to you when i get bak from school, do you have aim or msn or anything so i can keep in contact w/u in case this thread dies out, or otherwise i will just send you private messages or whatever. i really,really appreciate all your help.

Same here, just post again when you need more help.