Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Yeah i've been trying to get my internet to work on fedora and i got to admit that i'm a noob at linux computers i'm more better at xp/vista computers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connecting To Internet Fedora 8

Yeah i've been trying to get my internet to work on fedora and i got to admit that i'm a noob at linux computers i'm more better at xp/vista computers but anyways, i'm trying to get my internet working but i get a error msg:
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed. i've tried wireless and ethernet but i get similar error messages.

My computer specs: Sony Vaio VGN-NR120E, 1GB Ram, Atheros AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter, and i have Linksys WRT54G router.

Linux Guru
    Your card would use the MadWifi driver:
    http://madwifi.org/

Here is the entry for your card:
    http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibilit...therosAR5006EG
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    Also, check out this thread, I think it is about the same wireless chipset that you have:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...edora-8-a.html

EDIT: Sorry, that is about the AR5007EG.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    I did some searching about this wireless. It seems that the best way to get this card working is to use NDISwrapper.

Make sure that you blacklist the Linux diver, ath_pci.

Just Joined!

hey

thanks for you helping me, i havent been able to get on at all today(besides now) because i had a snow day and i was busy. i will have to try it out, and i might have questions about how to do it, so i will message you if i have any, because you seem more experienced with linux than i do, again thanks. and btw i used to live near Franklin i lived in Oak Creek when i was young and i moved to Appleton.

Linux Guru
    Make sure that you read through the installation instructions on the NDISwrapper Documents/wiki.
    NDISwrapper - Home

Pay attention to the prerequisites needed to compile NDISwrapper.

Just Joined!

hey

sorry to bother you again but can u give like a more detailed way of doing it because for some reason i dont think im doing it right. i downloaded the madwifi-ngr ar5007 zip file and the patch so what exactly do i do next, because the link that you showed me kind of was confusing. edit: i did download the wrong one lol... but i still need like help on which files i all need. i know that i would need the madwifi-ngr ar5006 zip file and the patch, but i dont know what to do after that, because there is soo many files.

Linux Guru
    I think that I gave you too many options, and confused you a bit.

It seems that the best way to get this wireless to work is to use the NDISWrapper kernel module. It will be easier to install than patching an untested beta driver.

NDISwrapper uses the WindowsXP driver and links it to Linux so that the wireless will work.

Just Joined!

hey

oh ok, should i get the stable one and if you could possibly explain step by step how to do it before i log off my laptop and boot up fedora, because my vista laptop has the internet.

Linux Guru
    Download the stable version. Uncompress the file by first directing the terminal to the folder where it is.
    Code:
    cd /folder_where_ndiswrapper_is
    Then uncompress.
    Code:
    tar xvfz ndiswrapper-1.51.tar.gz
    Now compile and install it with these commands.
    Code:
    cd /ndiswrapper-1.51
    make distclean
    make
    Now log in as superuser (su)
    Code:
    su
    password:<enter password>
    Then install
    Code:
    make install
    Once again, be sure that you have all of the prerequisites installed first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast